Saturday, September 24, 2011

BF


Did another barefoot (BF) run in the park yesterday. The autumnal equinox provided a spectacular setting, warm, sunny, peaceful. The route is a mix of surfaces, primarily hard-pack scrabble lined with grass, some brown and dry with short stretches of soft, verdant, cushy green. There are several poplar trees who's root system presents a foot strike challenge and a few stretches where one must travail over asphalt. It is my home course and over the past three decades I am quite confident that I lead the neighborhood in laps completed. Each loop is 1.5 miles. For the first time yesterday I ran it unshod.


And it was fun. Took about a minute longer than our normal pace but I could feel my feet, ankles, hips and knees adjust to the change. Feeling every step, making slight changes in landing, leaning, watching. It was also a great workout, as all this micro movement challenges the proprioceptors to ensure stability, fluidity and efficiency. AND, to make sure that no injury results. Chew on THAT one for a mile or two. The body (being smarter then we are) can make real time adjustments to regulate stasis and prevent injury to itself. Let me editorialize with a single word:


WOW!


Here are a few relevant links to the BF "phenomena":


How to Run Barefoot.

Christopher McDougal on Born to Run

Slow Motion of Shoes vs No Shoes

Heel Striking explained


The embed video is from our 'staggeringly popular', "Move The Rock" series filmed in SoCal last year. Just to show you that I have experience in the BF arena. It is also glaringly obvious that the 17 pounds I lost from the date of filming and today was energy well spent. Also my comedic trimming leaves Mel Brooks without worry.


We'll will begin weekly BF sessions in the park effective immediately!!!!! Off for a HoM 90. Enjoy the day (and move that shell).

4 comments:

ej said...

having done that speed golf barefooted i think it feels faster running barefooted definitely but the concern is the surface and damage to the foot. soft cushy grass is easy not sure about the rest.

KML5 said...

It is a challenge, but that is a part of it, the awareness and instant biomechanical corrections that take place with every footstrike. I felt it in my hips this morning. The minimalist approach solves the 'tender flesh on jagged rock' issue, but I am too cheap to pay $125 for comfort. I want to create nightmares for Phil Knight as well.

ej said...

i might try it. maybe walk on the roads a few times before the running.

KML5 said...

Can't hurt. Only help. The experts say take it five minutes at a time. I did 26 yesterday and feel great. Take the minimalist approach to start. Enjoy the ride. Report back. Go Dawgs