Monday, January 31, 2011

Give to Get


Today is the prologue. A warm up. Dress rehearsal. Officially the RCVman No Beer February begins tomorrow, but since I have taken so much flak about there being but 28 days this month, I am starting a day early. Additionally I plan on keeping this test active until March 6, the first Sunday of that month, when we can get together again to analyze the results and, more importantly, quaff a Guinness or two. There was none to be found last night, still we persevered and did the best we could under the less than perfect conditions.

The new of you (?) might wonder why all this hubbub? Simply stated, this is a test. That is our way. We relentlessly search for that illusive combination of diet and exercise that will get us to where we want to be. For some of us, that means the post-event podium, for others it means exotic ports of call where we explore new trails and back-roads, for others still it means staying out of the doctors office. All good.

This test is the attempt to isolate a variable. Beer. Empty calories. Here is a chart of some 12 OZ numbers. This test to see if we can further skew the weight portion of the power to weight ratio. I will, simultaneously, continue my training regimen, adding intensity and distance to the bike/run/repeat protocol. The theory: Less weight, more speed. Something has to give - if something is going to be got. Or, will 500 (avg) calories per day equal one minute on the BAC15 TT course?

My last BAC15 time trail was now three weeks ago. I am ready for another go. And after Clay's monstrous 40 minute effort this morning, besting my time by over two minutes, I must take another shot at it. Clay, btw, is six years my senior and has undergone four heart procedures. He calmly reported before his TT that he needed to, on the orders from his cardiologist, keep his HR below 80%. And he still kicked my butt! Nice work pal.

Those are the parameters. Feb is here. Time for another round of testing. Man, I hope this doesn't work. Starting weight: 161. BAC15: 42:39. Go.

Pic: Our UW game day ritual now includes a pint or two prior to heading to the stadium. This was at Fado before the UCLA game. We won.

No comments: