Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Good Bread




You know by now that I tweaked my left ankle hauling water. Not a bad tweak, but enough to keep me off running. And I do NOT want to head into the late winter ramp-up hobbling, so it is getting some TLC until recovery is complete. It was a dark night, the path was muddy, five gallons of water is heavy, and, pop….

At four, left Cynthia and Stephanie at Crystal Springs to get in their speed session and headed to the bakery. You all know, or should know by now that I did a 35 day no-bread test back in December. Net was minus five pounds. We then instituted the CompuTrainer TT series to determine if that loss would affect performance. That and the Tanita scale for BMI testing. Long detailed scientific analysis of combined data indicates that it did not. You may breathe now.

All this means I am back on bread again. Good bread. And I found it at the new bakery, Pane d' Amore at Lynwood Center. I mentioned my test to the two gals in the delightful Euro style bakery last week and they were not impressed. I guess it might be like waltzing into a library to announce that you have sworn off books. But last night the tone changed, they seemed to remember me as "the no-bread bike-guy", which is OK, all things considered. We got to talking and I am inquiring about the ingredients, where the loaves are baked, usual stuff, when Alex (shown above on the right) leads me over to their grains department to display some of the other products from the Finn River Farm in Sequim, where the grain is milled. We are chatting and she casually says, oh yeah, the farmer up there (Sequim) mills the grain on a stationary bike. (shown above)

He what?

Yeah, he rides a special bike that mills the grain for this bread.

You're joking?

No, really.

Is there a web site?

She looks at the label.

Right here: FinnRiver.com

Wait you forgot your bread.

(more to follow)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Uh, Kevin, there are two "n"s in Finn. As in, My Finnish Soul. Look up my latest book on Amazon!!

KML5 said...

Thank you, I though it looked funnnnnnny. How are ya?

KML5 said...

Gary, congratulations on the book!!! Here is a link to Gary's site. http://www.garyandersonpoetry.com/my_finnish_soul/Welcome.html