Sunday, January 23, 2011

No sweat


I don't really want to over think this one so I'll just toss it out for your consideration and contemplation. A Sunday night executive summary, if you will.

Gentlemen: You are the Omega Man, tasked with keeping the species alive, 100 years old with your better days (far) behind you. What would be your thinking (hard wired, instinctive or other) when new potential mates are introduced into your "domain"? Awesome, borderline impossible, responsibility or piece of cake, sweatless, time to party?

Ladies: New studies indicate that the reason you sweat less than men, is that you have smaller frames, hence less body weight, and therefore a smaller amount of overall body water percentage. YOU ARE MORE EFFICIENT. We have to lug around all this fat and bone (much like our friend from the Galapagos) which takes more coolant to keep us from overheating. There is some evidence that testerone might play a part as well. Which spins us full circle.

I hate to admit, even after our tortoise-like year-to-date 10 mile LSD PR this afternoon, that given the above-mentioned task, I would sweat a little.

Then go to work.

Photo caption: This is not my true nature, but the clock is ticking, so can we ditch the 'friends first' thing and samba some?

6 comments:

Stephanie Rohl said...

Why is it that I consume two water bottles in a 60 minute spin session, and the guy to my right NEVER even brings a water bottle?

KML5 said...

Cause you go twice as hard as that guy?

FW said...

Five years ago I routinely guzzled two water bottles in a high intensity hour. Now, sometimes I don't even finish one entire bottle in an hour even though my HR runs 85% to 90% of max over half the time.

There must be some kind of adaptation going on.

KML5 said...

Very true. In the 'old days' we used to intentionally practice without water, running long. Our brothers in full pads and going anerobic often, however, needed regular breaks for water. Big difference. Along comes Gatorade and suddenly everyone is downing liquid green sugar like there is no tomorrow. Over the years I think I pretty much have a handle on what I need for hydration. And although ones sweat rate plays a part, the big challenge (in my book) is how fuel interacts with hydration (when going long). Everyone in a typical HoM 60 minute session could get by with a couple of swigs, but we don't know what their level was prior to saddling up, how many diuretics were consumed, sleep patterns, rest & recovery values, etc., meaning we have always errored on the side of caution. 12OZ for 60 minutes. I am lucky if I take in more than a shot glass size of water, even in 90 minutes sessions.
Adaptation? Absolutely.

Stephanie Rohl said...

Are you serious? I need the water during spin class, but can get by on a few swigs during a LSD run. What amm I to make of that?

KML5 said...

The heat of the room, most likely, although there are several other factors in play. Wind movement, peer pressure, time of day all play a part. As noted earlier, this is not something that you want to obsess over.

1) Show up rested and hydrated.
2) Drink before thirsty.
3) Use an electolyte replacement beverage when going for longer that 2 hours.
4) Revise strategy when running a marathon or doing an Ironman.

Like sweat rate, the amount you drink is very personal. You are an experiment of uno. You know my magic-mix from Sunday? Sugar and salt.