Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011: Clean Slate



1.1.11

Great 90 min HIT session this morning. Before we got started with our spin, we did another Tanita BMI test. Just for some metrics. An indication of where we might be. And I use this weasel-wording (might be) instead of the objective and accurate (are) for a good reason. This method of collecting BMI, and more particularly, body fat %, is wildly inaccurate. Like +/- 3%. In my research I found that one of the leading causes of data inaccuracy is overly calloused heels. Hummmm. I will cite another example of how this is not the "best" way to charge down the path of good heath: I have been tested for BMI three times. Listed below are the results.

You tell me which of the three is where I should be "most fit":

November, 2008, Panama City Beach, FL
Weight: 171.8 (clothed)
% Body Fat: 8.8%

November, 2010, Bainbridge Island, WA
Weight: 168.1 (workout kit)
% Body Fat: 9.2%

January 1, 2011, Bainbridge Island, WA
Weight: 163.8 (workout kit)
% Body Fat: 10.2

Interesting, no? Did I really lose muscle mass as primary source during the 30 day no bread diet? That is what the first to last data suggests.

All this leads us to the conclusion that points to another type of testing as necessary. After all I am most interested in getting faster, in the application of muscle and mass to create force (to turn the pedals with more power). Knowing that I need to follow a hard ride with a quick run, the combination vital to this end is known as power to weight ratio.

And that takes us directly to the next test. The power test. We measure power in watts. One accepted protocol calls for a 60 minute test in a controlled environment to determine CP, controlled power. The number of watts you can generate in 60 minutes.

Let's put the goal in other words: If I can raise my CP 10% while losing ten pounds I could care less what my percentage of body fat is.

Let the testing begin.

Starting Monday, I will have my CompuTrainer available in the HoM for this testing. I will create a special course of approximately 15 miles that we should all be able to complete in 60 minutes. You bring in your bike (or you can use one of mine) do the test and we'll save the power data. Them we'll go about our HIT spinning (and cross training, stretching and recovering) for a quarter and repeat the test, same course, same person, but same results? NOYL (not on your life). You need to reserve a date for this because we can only accommodate one person per class, or three a week. We'll kick off the program Monday booking times for a Wednesday start. I will do the course as well at home so we have a starting benchmark.

Photos: The 2010 running slate is wiped clean, making way for more miles in 2011.

8 comments:

ej said...

I am fat. Happy and fat.

KML5 said...

Then I got it all wrong. Quite possible.

FW said...

Even though body fat scales like Tanita might not provide a precise body fat calculation, they tend to be stable. That is, any error in the calculation will be consistent over time. The benefit of devices like this comes when you can track the numbers every day at the same time of day. This will allow any trends to be viewed. Whether the actual body fat number is 8% or 12% is beside the point.

Measuring at the same time of day makes a difference. Before going to bed my number might be 7%. First thing the next morning, my number might be 11%. Losing water through normal breathing accounts for the differential. Also interesting to note how when my weight trends up, my body fat percentage trends down.

Over a period of weeks, with consistent daily tracking, the body fat numbers will show either an upward or a downward trend.

KML5 said...

Yup. An inexacting science to be sure. Still, as you indicate, there are trending data available to analyze. I was surprised to see my weight to BF ratio change so dramatically. I think, for the sake of this experiment, I might have been asking the wrong question. We set out so see if the elimination of high glycemic processed grains (bread) would result in the reduction of gross weight. All other variables controlled, it resulted in a five pound reduction in 35 days. Being an athlete looking for speed, I (naturally) asked then, OMG, what if that five pounds was muscle and not fat? And that, was my error because that is not what the Tanita data is reporting. The question, 'how do you know if wasn't muscle?' will be answered this week on the CompuTrainer (which doesn't care about body fat either).

FW said...

While the muscle/fat ratio question is pretty interesting by itself, a more interesting question for an endurance athlete is what is the effect on one's ability to maintain 90% maximum output for a given distance or time?

What will be the effect on your body's ability to deliver adequate fuel from the three main areas you have: blood glucose, muscle glucose and adipose tissue?

We'll watch the watts. That will tell a lot.

KML5 said...

A dose of this and a dash of that. All contribute to the dish. We did the long and slow run today and will add the HIT spin in the morning. Had some delicious local organic seven grain artisan bread with lentils and eggplants. My BF%, FTP, diet and training program will (or will not) produce the desires results in 2011. We keep training and testing regardless, eh? Here is the ONE THING I have learned after twenty years of doing this: There are no shortcuts. Have a great evening, thanks for your comments.

ej said...

you guys should publish something. I'll be the promoter (and casting director for any live promos) of whatever you come up with, of course for a small fee or advancement. Please complete your first draft by January 30, 2011. I'm thinking of a trailer something like the following but using female actors instead of these knuckleheads: http://www.youtube.com/user/FourHourBody

KML5 said...

We are looking for seed dough to get started. I like the video, but question the means. As mentioned earlier, outside of illegal subs, there are no shortcuts. Especially if you want to run 100 miles!!!!