Saturday, August 7, 2010

Return of the Terrapin Flyer




Re cycle. I like that. Taking a well-used but out-to-pasture frame and recycling it into something on the other end of the bike spectrum. You can't get much further from opposite poles than those of long course triathlon and commuter bikes. Two completely different purposes, functions, mind-sets. Yet, here we have it.

In 1996 I did my virgin Ironman, Vineman, on a new Cannondale MS 400. The MS being Multi-Sport. At the time its geometry was considered radical along with the barrel bar-end shifters and 650c wheels. Cost me a robust $800 from Gregg's Greenlake Cycle in Seattle. As an editorial footnote, in my first IM, I qualified for Kona with a 11:02 clocking, but passed on the slot for humanitarian purposes (more on that later), a decision I would later regret as the years passed and the competition increased along with my finish times.

But what fun the Terrapin Flyer and I had together. We did Vineman twice, Canada once and even raced in Europe and the Indian Ocean. We never crashed. Sadly she was put out to rest when the sleek, sexy Softride Rocket-Wing came along in 2000.

She sat collecting dust and rust for a decade of wet Northwest winters until a few weeks ago when neighbor Paul, an incredible craftsman and bike aficionado brought up fixies in a front yard conversation. He wanted to build one up so Ann could commute from Ferry terminal to Starbucks HQ and back. I innocently offered the frame of the multi-sport bike formerly known as the Terrapin Flyer.

And he was gone.

Last week he shows up with this little gem. A Phoenix diamond in the rough. The purdiest faux-fixed commuter I may have ever laid tired eyes upon. Two speed hub, deep dish rear wheel and a completely redone frame, painstakingly restored from black to battleship gray. Orange trim. Sweet.

I have gigabytes of memories of me and the Terrapin Flyer. That old, slow caterpillar is now a butterfly. Nice work Paul, congratulations Ann, and thank you Terrapin Flyer, it was fun.

Old to new: 1996 Vineman. Paul & Ann today. A re cycle.

No comments: