Wednesday, August 11, 2010

DNA n U





This is a fascinating piece from the NY Times about body types and the plethora of differences thereof. We know that there are extremes. Nobody expects an NFL lineman to run a sub-4 marathon. And not many cyclists can bench their weight (including bike).

What I found interesting was in the data used to create the overview. Take a close look at some of the numbers, e.g. age + resting HR + BMI + their summation and comments. I think we can draw some conclusions.

Such as: Race your strength and train your weakness. Or. Know thyself. Or. Do what your body has a genetic propensity to do. Or. Cross train for speed, strength, power and stamina. Or. Fuel your training appropriately and accurately. Or. Rest and recover properly. Or. It's about the motor. I could go on or-ing, but you get the idea.

I think it would be a fun exercise to do one of these profiles, except that I haven't done a bench press in about three years and would be totally embarrassed to list my hoist as a buck-ten. But then again I could always claim cyclist category.

"The most difficult thing for me to develop is explosive power. I was born with a lot of lean, slow muscle. With a lot of protein and a lot of strength training, I can manipulate my ‘nature.’" Pictured is Deena Kastor (rhr, 28, bench 65 and a 2:19 marathon PR). Go get 'em Deena!!!!!

4 comments:

ej said...

not procrastinating, finding time

KML5 said...

Or, whatever it takes.

FW said...

My body was not optimized for basketball or crew, but I enjoyed playing and rowing anyway. In cycling, my body is not optimized for climbing or sprinting, but I enjoy both regardless. My DNA seems to do best on rolling terrain over long distances, FWIW. It would have been nice to know that 30 years ago.

KML5 said...

It might be a process of elimination. If I try them all, surely I will find something I am good at. Was talking with one of our runners last night about the strange paradox of me (my body) doing MUCH better in short distance than in long. But I like the long so much more. Go figure.