Thursday, August 19, 2010



Lots of sitting today. My back responds to this with a protest of cramps, spasms and pain. The 0330 wake up call got us to Sea-Tac with about 45 minutes to spare, and then the bench warming to Atlanta. We are now in the air again, 33K up, heading into Boston. After bag and car pick-up we'll have another two hour sit into Franklin, New Hampshire, assuming traffic north on 93 isn't bumper to bumper on a Thursday night. Fingers crossed. Tomorrow is a mandatory run. Repeat: Mandatory. Followed by recon of the expo and race site at Lake Winnipesaukee. Then another mandatory run.

These little 5Ks, I feel, are providing a dual purpose. We have discussed this before, so if your are already a choir member, you can skip this paragraph and go right to the dramatic conclusion below. The duality: One is the obvious, three miles at an easy, comfortable, efficient pace. Get the motor runnin'. That is the first effort. After a bit of creative, some manual labor, chores, maintenance, etc and then run number two, usually six or so hours later. Unless I get sidetracked my film or music.

Don't turn your back on me Baby, it's half past four and I'm shifting gears Check out Guitar George, he knows all the chords You can check out anytime, but you can never leave They got a lot of nice girls down there You've been telling me you're a genius since you were 17, it's just a shout away, took my money and my cigarettes, looking for some California grass in what ever comes our way.

Run number two is completely different than its predecessor. There is fatigue, although mostly from relentless irritation inflicted by the 6 billion others who share this orb and their attempts to sway my decisions on how and where to spend my nonexistent disposable income. Yeah, it takes a toll. So out for another metabolic, stress-busting and joyous jaunt. The second run feels more like training, as I like to ensure a negative split by pushing the pace with every stride. The last three months have been glorious, sun shining, Martens winging, kids laughing and dogs not having much to bark about. Life, at its best, IMHO.

So the question becomes: Are two 25 minute 5Ks daily better than a 10K every other day? I don't know, but it sure feels like the constant motor stimulus helps in other areas, perhaps creating a more healthy state than a fit and race-ready package. Here is the kicker: we are doing both, a weekly timed 10K as well to prep Steph for her Nov. 28 assault on the Seattle Half. OK, I also sneak in a few hills, and a weekly speed session, plus the Wednesday morning HIT sessions (which have been inching towards VHIT of late). so I think I might be OK should I decide that one more race this season is warranted.

And I think it is. Chris is on the bubble about running the Seattle 26.2, so I might offer my partnership just to see if all this short and sweet methodical madness could possibly propel one to another trip to Boston.

A destination to where, we have just been informed, we are making our initial descent.

Full, upright and locked.

Sixteen hours later, veggie pizza with broccoli and spinach and some tasty Belgian White from the Long Trail Brewing Co. at the DK Motel (more on THIS later) in Franklin, NH.

5 comments:

ej said...

check this out, we're trying it next weekend:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA2u94CF_Bs

FW said...

I took my son there in 2008 during Crankworx. That was wild. Bobsled style turns and lots of air in between. Wore full armor.

FW said...

Evie is big on trainers. http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/training-fitness/evies-eleven

Does she use yours? If not, why not?

KML5 said...

Evie is a smart girl. I should call her and introduce myself. That would make us each smarter. Did I say that right?

FW said...

I'm thinking sponsorship. Or something like that. Smart, strong, fast, um, awesome. Yeah, that's right.