Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Live from Norway (A three way tie)

I am cheating. Ninety minutes to kill before the two hours to Boston, connecting flight to Newark and then on to Oslo. I have no idea on what the wifi availability (or cost) will be in transit, so I am using the aforementioned hedging method to bring you…..


THE TOP TEN TUNES OF THE
RCVMAN TOP ONE HUNDRED SPIN TUNES OFF ALL-TIME.

Here and now. In my cozy little room at the DK Motel in Franklin, New Hampshire. It is drizzling outside, rains left from yesterday's 10th running of the Timberman 70.3. The Andy and Chrissy Show, redux. But that was yesterday. Today is today, and here we go. I need to add a preface to these songs. Each and every one of them, have it. Big backbeat, solid bass-drum, catchy hooks, some serious sizzling solos, and even a koanesque lyric or two to hang your hat on. Every one of these tunes, as their 90 predecessors, in ways, shapes and aural forms, speak to me. As they have to millions of others. They get my motor runnin'. I will spare you the repetition, saying up front, what I could say as intro to each: "Damn I love this song." Let us begin.

NUMBER 10.
Reelin in the Years, Steely Dan.
NUMBER 9.
Get Back, The Beatles
NUMBER 8
Radar Love, Golden Earring.
NNUMBER 7.
Black Magic Woman, Santana
NUMBER 6,
My Sharona, The Knack
NUMBER 5,
Sultans of Swing, Dire Straits
NUMBER 4,
Gimme Shelter, Rolling Stones
NUMBER 3,
Take Me to the River, Talking Heads
NUMBER 2.
Hotel California, The Eagles
NUMBER 1 (tie)
Won't Get Fooled Again. The Who
La Grange, ZZ Top
Born to be Wild, Steppenwolf

We are now LIVE from Lillehammer, Norway. Never wanna die.

2 comments:

ej said...

WHATTT!@*$% no licorice??!!!!

PS - I'm thinking you should have had a Rusted Root song. '....military machine...la, la, la'.

PPS - If you want to really get clued in to 'new' popular music, talk to Ashley. She has some great, hard to find.

KML5 said...

I thought for sure you would call me out on the tie thing. Re new music: Needs to pass the RCVman test of time first. Licorice: I am sure JG would have been pleased to have a pair of tunes on this elite listing. I like RR.