Tuesday, December 29, 2009







I was reminded this morning about the fleeting nature of time. It has been reported that the days go slow, but the years past fast. We like to say in training that time is nonlinear. Proof: Do a ten minute warm up then a set of 4x30sec max sprints and I GUARANTEE that when you get to number four that thirty seconds will feel like an hour. Ya know when your having fun, in the flow and truly enjoying whatever is in front of you? Time seems to sprint as if racing itself. Gotta go, gotta go. NEXT?

Somebody asked me this morning about training for a two day ride in August. Ye ol' RSVP (Ride from Seattle to Vancouver and Party for you non Northwesteners). I said we have been training for that since March of '92. My flippant remark caught her a touch off guard, but the ensuing expatiation, connected some dots. It's about base. Base fitness and base cycling fitness. The last couple of (monstrous) sessions I talked about the prospect of building a massive aerobic platform. That is your MAP to cycling success. A place from which to build from. Once your aerobic platform has been established (this takes time) you can add the speed, power and endurance componentry. So where and when does one find this MAP?

Here and now of course. Ride indoors as often as you can. Start tomorrow. If you live in a climate appropriate for outdoor riding, saddle up and be safe out there. If not, get a trainer (I think you know my preference) join a club that offers studio cycling (I think you know my choice) and get started on your base. Go easy at first (30 days) then start to add weekly volume and intensity. Before you know it you'll be hammering the highway come spring.

Time. Chilly Hilly is 60 days from TODAY. Start now.

A couple of upcoming rides:

Chilly Hilly (and RSVP info)
The San Diego Gran Fondos
Tour de Palm Springs

Pix: Top left: Santa Barbara, RAMROD (Mt. Rainier)
IM Wisconsin
Mt. Baker Ride 542

2 comments:

ej said...

Thanks for those sites. I can see the wisdom of riding in the desert in February. right on.

KML5 said...

You bet, accessible AND warm!!!!!