Friday, December 11, 2009

43







We have now about 43 hours till we embark on Christmas Spin III, a 12 hour indoor ride to raise money to buy Kids bikes for Christmas.

We are woefully behind in reaching the target bogy. Which is all my fault. Got a late start, was busy selling RCVs, got frozen pipes, pick a (lame) excuse. None matter.

What does matter is that we make a wholehearted furious last minute push in the hopes of at least salvaging the purchase of a couple of bikes. With the thinking that a few adolescent smiles are better than none.

So here goes.

Th black and white: Folks, friends, family, VBA, lurkers, trollers, hackers, world: This is real. There are kids here that need our help. We are big folks, we can take care of ourselves. And now I am asking you to help me take care of others. This is how you build community. And I am big on that.

Here is what we do and, in turn, what you can do. On Sunday (42 hours now) we will spin indoors from 8 am to 8 pm. If this seems impossible or crazy, I have proven twice prior that it is possible (if you are crazy enough). And I am certified. That is what we do. What you do is pledge $5 per hour, or any amount you feel comfortable in pledging, and then we get a list of recipients from Shelly, the Prez of the Bainbridge Island Boys & Girls Club, run that list down to Jeff at Classic Cycles and buy as many bikes (with helmets) as we can. Paul gets to assemble and I deliver.

Pretty straightforward. We spin, we sweat, we suffer. You pledge. They get new bikes for Christmas.

Please allow me to leave you with this image: Where you paying attention to the glow on your kids face the last time you gave them a new bike for Christmas????

Would you like to be part of that joy again??????

You can make a phone pledge today by calling (206) 842-5661. Just tell 'em Kevin sent ya.

Thank you and please have a great weekend.

42, and counting.

Pix: Last years effort. Caption of kid with helmet at Elma Kids Tri: "Can I climb?"

4 comments:

FW said...

Several members of the Geezers of Fury have pledged a firm amount of $55. One Geezer has pledged $1.08 for each mile I ride. I told him I planned to ride at least two hours. My MS Excel worksheet is programmed for automatic updates as the miles roll by.

See you Sunday.

KML5 said...

Very cool. WAY TO GO GEEZERS OF FURY!!!!! But the signif of $1.08/mile escapes me. (could be a geezer thing?)

FW said...

I don't get the .08 either but hey, it just adds up faster that way.

Merry Christmas!

KML5 said...

Roger on the addition. Nice work.