Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Sensing the Satorius





I am waiting for the sun to sufficiently rise in order to start my work day. It is my first recovery day after six consecutive days of spinning. Five hard sessions and one long one. It was a nice mix and I am very happy that it is in the books, but now I need to get out and run, use some other muscles in other ways.

Some of the fallout from Sundays 12 hours (230 miles) included slightly stretched satorius muscles (yes, mostly on the left side) and subsequent inability to stay asleep for longer than four hours. Guess we dialed up the metabolism a notch! Other than that, all is well with the two post event sessions providing a return to high intensity intervals for 60 minutes. If anything going long reinforces the control and confidence one has over "shorter, more intense" sessions. It's like doing a sprint after an Ironman. Once the endurance marathon is done, the explosive bursts of power and speed seem like walks in the proverbial park.

We are also closing in on $2,500 raised for our combined efforts, making the bike count eight or nine. Like my Granddaddy used to say, "That's better enna poke inna eye widda sharp stick."

More fallout:

With the benefit of the aforementioned (diffused) sunlight, I will crawl under the cabin to repair the hot water pipes that froze so mockingly a week ago. I don't really mind doing this. After all I installed them. The part that I like is the Joe Magee-ness about it. It will cost me 'bout five bucks to fix instead of calling a plumber and handing over $250 (at least). Then I get to tackle the carpet in the new studio space. Making the arched cut in the middle of the room will be tricky. LIke cutting a diamond in a '55 Ford pickemup. Then I cut the promo video for the guys at the Derby Bike Ship in Colorado, assimilate the CompuTrainer order info for the WestSound Tri Club, get the sizing for the Kids bikes orders, slip into town on a humanitarian sortie, do some errands, and then,

GO FOR A RUN IN THE PARK. And I don't care if is snows.

Then back to spin class tomorrow.

And so goes a day in the life of (the) RCVman.

Pix: The satorius muscle group. Assists in knee flexation and is the longest muscle in the body. My favorite fir tree reminds me to be happy and smile often. Cover your bike in the winter kids.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great about the bikes!! I love the tree pic. And hope you had fun 'cutting a rug'!! :)

KML5 said...

My brother, an incredible (detailed) carpenter was over tonight with Jr., and when I told him I was gonna make the cut and do the install myself (cause I can't find the installer who did the 'phase 92' install) had one word of advice: Don't. So I am considering trying to find a better, more talented, dance partner.

I will post an updated version of the tree, cause it has changed over time. It's kinda funny inna (sic) way. Like life I guess.

We deliver the bikes next Wednesday at noon and they have granted me permission to film. The drama builds. Tis the season.