Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Dearest Huskies



Dearest 2008 Huskies,

I knew your fathers, your uncles and your hero's from other teams and classes. I hung out with the guys in the trenches, and traded war stories with the low number guys. I have sat in the pouring rain and watched a purple and gold blur march up and down a soggy field. I have watched glorious games in the Rose Bowl, down at Autzen, on the hill across from Sun Devil Stadium and on The Farm.

Many of my fondest memories are of guys with names like Heinrich, Redmond, Steele, Sonny, Tui and Steve. Hoffman, Ink, Hall, Meamber, Chico, Sterling and Chuck. I saw Napoleon carry the ball, Reggie catch it and Brunell toss it. I saw the good teams, the so-so teams and the bad teams. At one time I thought that Don James would make a better president than the one we had.

I was one proud Husky fan. Saturday afternoons in the fall became my favorite time of the year. I got my work done early so I could indulge in the TV coverage for a couple of hours. When we won I slept like a baby, when we didn't I tossed and turned all night, wondering why.

It has been a rough couple of years. Eight to be exact. Poor Gilby and Lambo, they didn't fail from lack of tryin' or because they didn't bleed enough purple. I respect Ty and what he is trying to accomplish, and how. I hope it works. Guess we'll start to find out Saturday night at Oregon.

But I want to say this on Wednesday of game week. Dearest Huskies, I don't care if you win by two scores, or lose by five. All I want, as a loyal fan of the University of Washington, is to see you grow as young men. I want to watch as you take that huge step from High School stars to Div 1 Major College Pac-10 student athletes. I want you to give this effort 100% of your focus on Saturday night in Autzen Stadium. I want you to be proud that you are wearing the colors of the guys I mentioned above, and give it your best for 60 minutes. If you do that, if your teammates all do this, you will win a game much bigger than the one tabulated on the scoreboard.

It's not about Home vs Visitor, Oregon versus Washington, it's about you vs YOU.

Good Luck, lads. We all stand behind you.

No comments: