Monday, August 18, 2008

Celebrity



Why we play sports.

Somebody innocently asked me the other day what I thought of the Olympics coverage. He was, obviously, in the majority of the people that I know (one way or another) who DO NOT read my blog. Don't feel alone, there are millions of you. Those in the minority know that for reasons probably hopeless, but intensely personal, I am not watching.

I further responded that I was in the midst of an Olympic boycott and hadn't seen one event, read one article, or given any more attention to them, than say, where clouds come from. All this surprised my friend as he knows my athletic background, humble as it is.

However, being in the media, (and although there are similarities, my cabin is not a cave), I do know that Michael Phelps has won a ton of gold and that Beijing will stop at nothing to impress the world and manufacture consent (thanks Noam). Alleged age manipulation and body doubles being the latest counts added to their rap sheet. I am happy for the athletes and appalled by the host. The fact that a local swimmer, with whom I have shared a lane once or twice, won a silver medal is at the critical mass of irony.

I was thinking today about this irony and all the endorsements that Mr. Phelps will be offered. Wheaties used to be the only big box billboard to feature athletes, but now, don't be surprised to see his mug or signature on soda pop cans, video games, sunglasses, travel packages, cell phones, hybrid cars and lunch boxes. We do love celebrities (see photo) and the marketers will hover over his head like vultures in the Gobi. Anything to move product. So my boycott of the games will be meaningless as the supply of cheap goods bearing the "seal of approval" from Mr. Phelps is increased exponentially to meet the demand. The demand is here, the supply is there. China may not be leading the Olympic gold standings, but the increase of trade as a result of this 10 day infomercial will set a new gold standard in gross exports.

Clever.

While contemplating all this, I came across this quote by the wonderful Byron Katie. It sums up in three sentences what would take me several chapters to say. It nails my thoughts like a 16d vinyl coated sinker.

Dearest Family,

As we watch the world embrace the Olympics in the coming days, let us remember why the modern Olympics came into being: to bring nations closer together, to have the youth of the world compete in sports, rather than fight in war.

As long as we believe our own war-driven thoughts, there will always be war, in ourselves, in our families, and in our world.

The first step to peace begins with you.

www.byronkatie.com

I think I'll go for a swim. Then have some cereal.

No comments: