Thursday, February 14, 2013

Through My Tears






Start with the backstory

They say that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Exactly WHO says that I am not sure, but, imagine for one minute what I might have been thinking upon the initial viewing of this commercial from Verizon. Nice guess!

I will admit that the initial spark of inspiration was a brilliant one. Love will inspire greatness, no doubt. And, for the record, I have no problem with the creative folks doing a high-tech remake. To sell phones. Whatever. You publish it without copyright and it is in the public domain. If somebody thinks so highly of your idea that they toss, I am guessing here, $500,000 to create a sixty second spot using your Valentine Card as shooting script, then drag out the heavy artillery and spend thousands renting downtown city streets for the shoot, there isn't much you can do but close the gate, because the cows are gone! You can cry, but the milk is spoiled. 

I suppose you could hire a lawyer and scream plagiarism, but you have too much class to grovel. 

I am still laughing. Take a look at that camera rig. OMG. Take a look at the footage they captured with it (above). Then look at the sixty second Seattle Urban Time Trial video below. I wrote that script, shot it, STARRED IN IT, and produced if for fifty bucks. 

I am still laughing.

Through my tears.

Happy Valentine's Day!


No comments: