Sunday, February 17, 2013

RAGE



I was feeling old last week. The unidentified energy zapping ailment that caused my visit to the ER had told us what is wasn't (a heart related incident) but was sadly negligent as to diagnosing what it was. The good news is that the two cuts on my finger that coincidentally 'occurred' the same day, have healed so quickly and completely that I am without a bandage. I don't know, but to me three weeks from a deep bone revealing gash to complete cellular rejuvenation seems pretty miraculous. I am deeply grateful to all parties responsible, even the folks at Harrison who submitted the initial bill for emergency services yesterday. I suppose an EKG, blood test, X-Ray and hands-on evaluation to prescribe rest is worth $3,200. 

Maybe those feelings of age were misinterpreted. Maybe what I was feeling was actually the woe of indigence. Maybe the pain was emulating more from my pocket than from my pancreas. Thirty-two hun. Ouch. Let's see, that works out to be eighty spin classes. Leading my average of three per week, I will have this bill paid by about October. Maybe by then we can find out what the real culprit is. 

We do know a few things. One, staying fit helps. Two, staying consistent helps. Three, finding something you are, or can become, passionate about helps. Four, managing stress helps. Five, eating right helps. Six, getting enough rest and recovery time helps. Seven: Laughing helps. Eight: Being grateful helps. Nine: Giving helps. Ten: Loving helps. 

Here are a few examples. First is a clever way to, ahem, balance training and eating (embedded video above) Then a microscopic look at some muscle differences between aging triathletes and aging sedentaries. I was particularly pleased with the authors term "chronic disuse." I do NOT want any of THAT shit, that you very much. Then, we see that intensity is not the cause of injury. Here is a look at some key elements for successful training for the aging athlete containing this question answering gem: Fast Twitch muscle fibers don't turn into slow twitch muscle fibers. Without adequate training, fast twitch muscle fibers simply atrophy. It is vital for an older athlete to maintain proper training to keep from losing fast twitch muscle. Here is a great, detailed article on training master athletes. And lastly, to let you know how I intend to tackle the next block of periodization, a poem by Dylan Thomas. I think you know the one.

I might be feeling slow. I might be feeling unfairly pressured by inflation. But I will NOT go gentle into that good night. 

Pic: The chairs of retirement will have to wait. Please notice Trixie in the stand awaiting tune-up. 

No comments: