Tuesday, January 31, 2012

First Month, Last Samurai

Whatta Tuesday, and it's not even noon yet! I find it amazing, as I trust you do too, how fast things can go from the garbage dump to the penthouse suite. I think there are more than a few lessons here, foremost among them:


Never say die. Don't quit. Ever. Under any circumstance. Get off the floor and back in the game. Make a call. Take a walk. Roll the dice. Keep the faith. Get mad. Ask for a favor. Find a friend. Tweak it. Serve. Fight. Run. Write. Read. Chop wood and carry water. Respect. Lead. Listen to the wind. Stare into the fire. Look into the eye. Laugh. Be valiant. Be gallant. Be there. Be here. Honor thy Father. Clean your room. Try your best not to bear false witness. Consume no flesh. Heal thyself. Run in the forest. Accept total responsibility for everything. Support. Sing. Focus. Embrace. Touch.


Pithy indeed. But it helps me stay somewhat sane in this world gone absolutely mad. Long time VBAers will remember some of the seasonal rituals that foster my reticence and devotion to the practice we call continual improvement. One of them took place last night, another starts tomorrow and the third is underway. I'll summarize:


I watch a handful of movies once a year. Each has as special message for me, a combination of art, ideals, morals, plot, character development, lessons and plain old good film making. I don't have to tell you the special and rare brand of magic thusly created. Last night, I was in need of inspiration. I was down. My tender right hamstring forced cancellation of the evening run. I was frustrated and hurt, carrying a heavy heart inside an empty pocket. I heard the muted inner voice console, and soothingly say, "The Last Samurai."


Watching Ken Watanabe's masterful portrayal of Katsumoto provides more meaning than almost anything I can think of. It answers questions I can not formulate, that intrinsically beg for resolution. There are answers. There is code. There is courage. There is no fear and no mind. There is a reminder that we have a long way to go, but perfection can be here now. I love this movie.


Secondly, today is the last day of January. How are we doin' with those resolutions kids? Tomorrow begins my annual no-beer February. I am also cutting glutens as well in this years two part experiment. I am about three pounds over racing weight, with a good percentage being muscle. The goal is to lean out in 28 days, continuing the power increases, get to 154, and hit the pool in March for a month long swimming block.


Thirdly, this is the work in progress one. The Boss called this morning to ask my opinion on a "package deal" for the Australian Cycling Team that includes four VeloTrons and a custom created RCV of the London Olympics Time Trail course for their exclusive use. We have the VTs in stock, the video?


Never say die. Think positive thoughts. Hang in there. Be patient. Be prepared, be strong. Where there's a will….


We'll find a way. Hai.

No comments: