Thursday, January 26, 2012

Another walk?




I know that many VBA were wondering what results came from my walking meditation yesterday while the power was out. I thank you for your concern, inquisitiveness and empathy. I am not adverse to struggle. The concept of hard work excites, rather than intimidates me. I will rise to the occasion and fight the good fight. I believe that to be reward unto itself. Maybe that guy toting the sacks of gold is taking full advantage to cut the gap during this time of challenge. I know what needs to be done, and it looks, on screen, like this:


DO NOT GIVE UP. Take the next step with awareness and grace. You may be bent but you are not broken. Find the joy. Keep the fire burning. Love more, move more, judge less, fret less. IT WILL BE OK grasshopper.


Hilarity ensues. As most often, the comic paradoxical prankster had the last laugh, as once the juice returned and I went about the business of reestablishing communications with the world, there was a phone message from my 'A' client left, of course, as I was out in the rain and wind pondering the complexities of an honest living in today's challenging times. Seems that as I was out searching my soul for inspiration he was calling with an assignment. And with some other good news as well (that I cannot reveal at this time). I don't know about you, but I find the timing on this absolutely hysterical. Or miraculous, or perfect, or whatever magical combination of astounding you prefer. It restores my faith in faith. Additionally, after our wonderful, relaxing (yet calling for special effort) three-lap recovery run, there hiding damply in my mail box, was my 4Q royalty check from same client. Ask and ye shall receive? If you build it they will come? Keep the faith pilgrim? Never say die?


The assignments are to cover and shoot the two latest events from the WTC, World Triathlon Corp., IM New York , being hailed and promoted as the US Championships, and IM Mt. Tremblant, outside Montreal, Quebec, Canada. I was so excited to regain my status as an actual free lancer with an assignment that I didn't even look at the dates prior to our run. As you know my red-letter event this year is Ironman Canada, on August 26. What if there was an overlap, what if one of these two was on the same day? OMG, a scenario only Shakespeare would love. What would I do THEN, I wondered on our last lap, sensing yet another thickening of an already dense plot.


IM New York is on Saturday, August 11. It will be another RCV of a course that you can only ride either on race day, or by viewing and riding the finished product. The entry fee for this event was a thousand dollars. It sold out on-line in eleven minutes. I will be there.


IM Mt. Tremblant is August 19. The week before IM Canada. It has already generated tons of buzz due to the bike course which features spectacular scenery and a 12% climb, done twice. It is also sold out. I will be there, too. Oui.


The big challenge, the irony, the hilarity and yes, the beauty of these two events being the weeks leading up to Canada is not lost on my sense of humor and appreciation of the odd. A fact I was again reminded of immediately following a simple introspective walk in the park, one phone message and a recovery run. And the 4Q royalty check?


Delinquent property tax payment.


Time for another walk.


Bike course profiles: Top is Mt. Tremblant bottom is NYC. Time for some hill repeats!

2 comments:

Stephanie Rohl said...

WOW! That's really great news. The timing is perfect, your fire will be fueled, and basking in the joy of the other IM competitors so close to your big race is really a God-send. Give thanks and glory where it is due. He is the God of miracles! Congratulations!

KML5 said...

Thank you. Yes, agreed; timing, atmosphere, gratitude, glory, all good. The taper will be interesting, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do, eh?