Monday, January 16, 2012

The bricklayer's notepad

A few interesting observations from the last 48 hours. Yesterday was a long day, not so much because the days are getting fractionally longer, but because we found a way to jam in more stuff. And I am thinking that is important as we make yet another reassessment at our ramp schedules for the upcoming season.


Trying to structure training time is a challenge. To the power of three when talking triathlon. Toss in work, sleep, some semblance of social engagement, food prep and facebooking, and your training avails reduce significantly. Creating the need for serious time management. Stuff needs to get jammed, in other words.


In triathlon we call jamming bricks. It is one workout followed immediately by another, mirroring the race day conditions referred to as T1 and T2. From swim to bike and bike to run. The etymology myth has it B(ike)R(run) ick. And when you stack your first set of bricks they do feel pretty icky. But the body adapts. Through practice and vigilance, you become somewhat accustomed to running with legs that feel filled with Jell-O. An important skill for the competitive triathlete.


Timing it out almost perfectly I finished my hour CT ride and met up with my fearless running partner for a 12.3 lsd run. We were tested further by the elements of the day which featured biting winds, snow flurries and icy roads. But we made it with just enough time to shower, thaw and head out for a scheduling session to discuss the aforementioned, rapidly approaching season.


The topics I wanted to present while running were tabled as a result of my frozen lips and appear here for the first time.


When time trailing on the CT, rolling resistance plays a large part. There is always press-on force at the point where the wheel meets the load generator cylinder. This is how speed data is captured and resistance established and regulated. In the attempt to travel as far as possible in 60 minutes (and it quickly became apparent by mile 5 that I was working harder and going slower than required) I used the tried and true strategy of adding gears and standing to power up and then returning to the saddle to recover. Without aerodynamics to contend with indoors this seems to be effective. However, as I repeated this tactic I began to notice the wattage fluctuations at the point of change. It was dramatic, amd I started to focus on keeping a steady state of efficient power as I initiated the attack, and then returned to rest. Creating a much more efficient power model. Immediately I remembered some elementary physics and motion mechanics. Specifically Newton's Second Law regarding acceleration. I was using precious energy to re-start the inertia lost in those nanoseconds transitioning from the stand to the sit. Why would I want to do that?


The CT is a powerful way to test your ability to manage pain. Here is a perfect example from Pro Triathlete Dede Griesbauer (pictured above) to illustrate. And here is another from a 24 hour team TT. At the half-way point yesterday I was on schedule to hit overall target (24 miles) but also cognizant that I would have to suffer some to get there. Just more of the same. I am used to it, I know what it feels like. I wish I could crank out 325 watts without breaking a sweat, but I can't. It's all work. All effort. And the more focus I can bring to every pedal rotation the easier it seems. One of my early mentors liked to say that there is no pain in the present moment. Further, I am now quite fond of the sign that reads: You can do anything for five minutes. I managed my pain for another thirty minutes, constantly keeping tabs on real time data and doing the mental mathematics to tabulate "time remaining to target". I am going to have to play Bittersweet more often.


By the time that we had traversed the 12+ lsd miles my face was numb, thumbs locked into frigid stiffness and toes barely functioning. It was a good effort, a great brick and a superb builder of confidence.


The brick was in the books. The scheduling books were on the table and the table was now topped with pizza and beer. It was a long day.


I like 'em that way.


Pic of Dede on the CT doing a TT is why I add attitude to the equation. Ya baby she's got it!

2 comments:

ej said...

bht and the monsters

KML5 said...

Good stuff