Wednesday, January 11, 2012

80/20

Pareto's infamous 80/20 observation it is NOT a law. Not an absolute. But a great way to look at the important task of managing your time. Especially your time in the training arena. In the gym, in the pool, in the saddle and without question, in the House of Mirth®. We have precious little time per day to dedicate to the pursuit of our optimal fitness or racing acumen. The interesting analysis is that either one, fitter or faster, require a similar approach and similar skills to accomplish.


Simply stated, and para-phrasing Senore Pareto, 20% of your training will yield 80% of your results. Mama mia! I think we should take a minute here in the attempt to isolate the 20%, and see what makes it so important, no?


I will suggest that the secret ingredient here is what we commonly call intensity. Here is another eye-opener that always catches people unguarded. You know the one where I say that I don't care about the Ironman swim? Sacrelidge? Scandal? Insanity? No, just the 80/20 in effect. Do I really want to spend five hours a week in the pool to gain five minutes of time over 2.4 miles, or spend five (additional) hours a week on the trainer to gain fifteen (or more)? I will play the Pareto card and put my effort on the 20% (more bike) to gain the 80% (overall time), mille grazie.


Adding focus to refine mechanics and overall power to enhance quality of technique is a sure fire recipe for fit or fast. I don't need to be the first out of the water to win my age group. If I can up my bike and run game (80% of training) to achieve the goal, my training management has been successful. Honestly, I don't want to be 'good' at all three disciplines. I want to be:


A mediocre swimmer

A great biker

A great runner

THAT will win, not good-good-good, but so-so-great-great. 80/20.


In training, when on, BE ON. Use the time. Focus. Have a little attitude. Snarl some. If you want improvement, this is quality time. It deserves your intensity.


It is that 20% of your day that will provide 80% of your fitness and your fastness.


Here is a closing choice cut from the TriathleteMind.com article:



That is because it’s your psychology – your thoughts, decisions, emotions, perspectives, attitudes, composure in the moment, or fears and stresses — in training and racing that determine how you execute your mechanics. The quality of your technique is a result of how well you’ve directed your focus, attention, interpreted the feedback and pushed your physical skills a certain way.


Buona fortuna.

No comments: