Monday, January 30, 2012

Warp Speed

Results from last night's ladies 20 minute ftp test. For our purposes ftp, functional threshold power, is described as your average watts produced over test time. The whole enchilada test is 60 minutes, but we can get close by using 95% of your average watts from the 20 min. test. The smart guys in the white lab coats are close to unanimous (perhaps a first!) that once you have established your ftp number, the fun begins. As in bike fitness improvement via the following easy to follow protocol:


Warm up for ten minutes, ride at 85% of your ftp for twenty minutes. Rest for five minutes, repeat. That's right folks, a twice weekly 2x20 at 85% of ftp is the magic formula. Here is the data from last night:


  • NAME AVG WATTS FTP 85%
  • Rin 84 80 68
  • Mimi 169 161 137
  • Clo 210 200 170
  • Cindy 148 141 120


As I mentioned last night after completion of the test., I would LOVE to get two groups together of four and conduct a 60 day test. Group A would conduct the ftp test, do the above training and re-test at the end of 30 and 60 days. Group B would do our three days a week spinning, take the test also at 30 and 60 days. I think the results would be fascinating.


As a matter of fact, I am going to make a couple of phone calls and see if I can drum up some funding. Anybody wanna play?


Here are a couple of relevant links to topics we have been discussing of late. Here is an excellent medical site (using some rather gritty video) of the breathing technique known as diaphragmatic. I think we made some headway this morning with the 'water-in-mouth' drill.


Next is what I consider to be a superb cycling site talking about training with power, particularly this ftp idea.


Lastly my old pal Joe Friel makes some interesting points on testing, training and racing.


Have a great week folks, we are stream-rolling into February, hold onto your hats.


Tired but happy after the test: (I was asked if I could take pics BEFORE from now on) Cindy B, Rin L, Mimi H, and Clo C. NIce work gals.

3 comments:

ej said...

what is this water in the mouth test? I don't breath well thru my nose so sometimes I hold a big gulp of water in my mouth to force myself to breath thru my nose. is that it?

KML5 said...

BINGO. We (most of us, I believe) held it for all of David Lindley's Ram a Lamb Man. Was fun in a weird sorta way. If we ever see you again in the HoM, we'll give it another go.

ej said...

very funny. i'm there in spirit most sessions i miss.