Friday, February 11, 2011

Who ya gonna call?


One more Multi-Rider Center from Naperville. IL that was omitted yesterday. Cool gig. Endure It Club.

Had the very special treat this morning of my fist massage in over a year. Truly, an experience I can wholeheartedly recommend. My therapists in the past have all been selected by one criteria: The ability to go deep. As in tissue. Some of my favorites were so strong, talented and experienced in helping others in my muscular-demographic (Type A trigeek wackos) that I had to keep constantly reminding myself on the table that all this torture would have a pay out in performance. That one fine day I would be happy at the finish line as a result of the current pain of full body weight on a enbow gorged deep into my left glute. I can remember thinking, try to relax wouldya.

Right.

I have also stumbled away from hour sessions on the verge of emotional breakdown. The release of "muscle memory" from torn, irritated, overused or under appreciated musculature will do that. My therapist today told me that some people laugh, some cry and others have no reaction whatsoever. When I told her I am in the "empathy" camp, she seemed pleased. She was much gentler (softer) than prior therapists but had outstanding navigation skills. She went right to the shoulder crunching, nailed the neck inflexibility and the fun was in full swing by the time she got to the piriformis.

Ooh, what is THIS? A little obstruction?

A muffled, yeah.

And this? Your ITB is as tight as a drum.

I am familiar with the comparison, yes.

Goodness, can you feel how all this tightness is pulling on your lower back muscles?

Deep breath, I can.

Does this hurt?

YEOWWWWWWW. (no, not at all)

And so went our 48 minutes together. Me face down, trying to relax, breathing through mouth because histamines had already completely clogged nasal passageways, and "The Girl from Tonasket" gently cruising to every inflamed trigger point on my left side and sweetly inquiring to the adjacent pain response.

Hurt any here?

Yes.

How much?

A lot.

How about over here?

That's a ten, yeah.

What about when I do THIS?

Owwwwwwwwh, could you please hand me my cell phone, it's in the right rear pocket of my Levis on the chair.

Why?

I think I should call my lawyer.

Seriously though. It was a great hour and my follow up with Dr. M equally productive. We will do a two day "indoc" session next week and see if we can reverse (or slow down) some of the vertebrae degeneration found from the X-Rays.

For those of you that have been following for a while, you have heard me mention HIT on a few occasions. I knew there was a reason I immediately responded to Dr. M's approach, and this might have something to do with it.

Great training week gang. Tomorrow is 90 minutes of HIT in the HoM. Sunday is an hour with the Kids and a 12 miler. (no typo)

Maybe I should call my shrink instead.

Pix from Thursday in town. WSF Tacoma with Olympics in back and a hanging fixie from Pike Place Brewery. (I was just looking).

4 comments:

ej said...

Pike Place Brewery - that locale fairly sums up a certain Seattle ambiance. Similarly, Il Bistro, - its as if the target clientele were vampires trying to hide from sun.

KML5 said...

The Brewery is fun, haven't been to il Bistro on a long time. I remember dark, leather, lotsa red wine on a linen tablecloth and a waitress with huge brown eyes.

Stephanie Rohl said...

OK. I definitely need to have that gal work on me! You are hysterical! Haven't been to The Brewery nor Il Bistro, but I'll put them on my list. Are you sure that wasn't a typo????

KML5 said...

No typo (do they still call them that?) Sunday is 12 miles. We could go into town on March 6 for some local brews after 13 mile run that day. I am not sure I am recovered from the massage as things are still blurry and I feel about to float away. As I recall from a long time ago it kinda feels like being in love.