Saturday, February 12, 2011

Ray on Life



"Love. Fall in love and stay in love. Write only what you love, and love what you write. The key word is love. You have to get up in the morning and write something you love, something to live for." Ray Bradbury, on the key to success.

I start each day with this thought foremost in mind. Mr. Bradbury, being a most prolific writer, uses the written word here to illustrate his point. A point with which I can relate. Although the comparisons begin and end here (I readily admit I am nowhere near Mr. B's status) we can use his sagacity as a point of departure. The key word remains the same: Love. I sincerely love what I do. I love making my little video representations of healthy people performing active, energetic, challenging athletic rituals. Riding bikes mostly. I like to think that somewhere, somehow, somebody might get motivated or inspirited enough by them to hop on and go for a spin as a result. Inside or out, I don't care. It's the movement and intensity that counts. The passion with which you ride. The relative joy. You have to get up in the morning and do something you love.

And do it again. Only the next time better, smoother, harder, with more focus, longer, with more newbies, in different places, at different times of day, week, month.

Something to live for. Passion. I talk about this a lot. Because I think it is important. You have to let the lemmings follow each other off the cliff. Hopefully some of them will figure out (before it's to late) that high fructose corn syrup, processed wheat, animal fat and diet soda (coupled with X-Box marathons) will deteriorate their health to the level of needing drugs for life support. Pills. Meds. Big Pharma and Montesano very much appreciate your continued cooperation. We have a health care industry that doesn't care about food, and a food industry that doesn't care about health. It is up to us folks.

That is one of the main reasons why I like (love) what I do, because my voice is so small amid this super-sized cacophony of capitalistic greed and insidious disregard for the well being of the proletariat. I, underdog. Call me David. That something wicked Mr. Bradbury discussed, has arrived. They want to control us (451), and not just a little. They want it all. Your money, your (lack of) health, your fear and your anxiety. There is big profit in your death and your disease.

Message to the PTB: You will NOT get it from me. I refuse to play your sick game. Ply your trade elsewhere.

I will take care of myself. I will create my own good health and fitness. I will eat well, local, organic and plant based. I will manage my environmental stress (start with the remote). I will continue to lovingly, passionately and aggressively push my growth agenda, and that of my community. I will laugh and I will sing (in the relative vicinity of C), and I will assist like minded others when they call, saddle up or log-in.

Then maybe one day I can write a sentence with as much impact, eloquence and meaning as Ray.

The good news is that I won't have to quit my day job to do it.

Excerpt from Fahrenheit 451:

Guy Montag was a fireman whose job it was to start fires... The system was simple. Everyone understood it. Books were for burning ... along with the houses in which they were hidden. Guy Montag enjoyed his job. He had been a fireman for ten years, and he had never questioned the pleasure of the midnight runs nor the joy of watching pages consumed by flames... never questioned anything until he met a seventeen-year-old girl who told him of a past when people were not afraid. Then he met a professor who told him of a future in which people could think... and Guy Montag suddenly realized what he had to do!

Pic: Oskar Werner as Guy Montag in Francios Truffant's 1966 spin on F451.

No comments: