Thursday, February 17, 2011

Bad dog


Bad dog. No.

I was a bad dog today. Woke up late with a zin-ache, skipped workout due to commute into town, had TWO doughnuts, and now have missed evening workout because of darkness. Bad, bad dog.

Daily tally: Calories in (estimate) 2744, calories out: 13.

I will probably wake up in the morning looking like John Candy. And although the sore throat seemed to be a harbinger of down time to come, two days of mega C dosing (and no intense runs) appears to have dispersed that riot before it turned ugly. Maybe I was simply seeking solace in the comfort of the sweets. Or perhaps we teetered on the brink of over-training and my metabolism was screaming for some simple sugar (and a day off)! Maybe both.

The take-away we logged was this: When ramping up, and feeling super good, almost bullet proof, there is danger at your door. When you wish like heck that there was a race upcoming somewhere SOON, stop. Take a day. Cut some intensity. Get a massage. Go for a hike. You are in the danger zone. Heed these warnings. Things are not as they appear. You have temporarily peaked and cannot sustain this intensity without proper rest and a period of time to allow cellular growth. (hint: Doughnuts do not assist in this process).

The good news is that you have earned this. You worked hard to get here. There are marked improvements. You enjoy the new view and the new you. You are becoming a big dog (wagging more, barking less).

So take a day or two when necessary and balance out the track. It'll be a heck of a lot easier to get back with one day off instead of three weeks due to a virus.

Good dog.

Pic: Roger at CompuTrainer demonstrates some of the many new features of the RacerMate One software bundle. We talked for two hours and I will build a promo video from that dialogue. Wait until I tell you what the new software is going to allow for use with Real Course Videos. It'll make ya howl at the moon and crave glazers!

6 comments:

Stephanie Rohl said...

I didn't eat any doughnuts, but I feel like I've gained 5 pounds since Sunday! A week withoout running is NOT good!
I know, train smarter to avoid these extended periods of down time.

KML5 said...

One step back to take four forward!!

(I will say that after abstaining from glazers for quite a while, those two were mighty tasty!!!!)

ej said...

Donuts, especially the Viking glazed at Sluy's, are key to realizing one's true potential.

KML5 said...

My potential remains bleak at best. That is so Pavlovian, just mentioning those GIANT round gobs of fat and sugar makes me salivate. I suppose I have the potential to drool. Is that good?

ej said...

If you sprint or at least gallop to Sluy's from your house you can afford to have two Vikings with four of those milks like you got with school lunches. running can have some benefits.

KML5 said...

I would do that, yeah. Skip the milk, though and add double espresso for the run back.