Monday, February 14, 2011

Mashing Sam and Zep


Happy Valentine's Day. In retrospect having Frankie Blue Eyes, Michael Bouble, Elvis, Goo Goo Dolls, Dave Crowder, k.d. lang, Bruce Cockburn, Izzy, Hootie, Turtles, Journey and Jackson on this mornings set list was kinda OK. Or maybe it was the fact that we were mostly distracted by the workout itself and only heard the occasional schmaltz through a fuzztone endorphin filter. Dunno. Regardless, it was fun and reciprocal as in exchange for the 30 minute massage raffle, I got a bag of chocolate chip cookies that I am seriously enjoying with my coffee this very instant. So congratulations Mimi and thank you Stephanie.

Those of you who have spent time in the HoM know my feelings on rock 'n roll. I like it. You also know that my favorite Beatles song is Dear Prudence. To bring these three seemingly unrelated items together (Studio Cycling, Rock 'n Roll and Valentines Day), one must do a little stretching. Which I also like. So here goes (please bear with me): All you need to know about:

1) Studio cycling: Show up often, go hard, rest, repeat.
2) Rock 'n Roll:
The sun is up
The sky is blue
It's beautiful
And so are you.
3) Valentines Day: See 1 & 2.

Lastly, and I've always wanted to do this, here is a one line lyrical mashup of the 21 songs that comprised today's set. I will let the tunesmiths speak for themselves.

Baby, won't you help me understand
And this moment keeps slipping away
Where trouble melts like a lemon drop
Maybe a great magnet pulls all souls towards truth
My story is much too sad to be told
The whole world can feel it
Yea you bleed just to know you're alive
I'm such a baby 'cause the Dolphins make my cry
The love I'm sending ain't making it through to your heart
Ask her if she'll marry me in some old fashion way
Nothin' wrong with bein' in love with someone
Unless it was champagne with you
You know we always had each other baby, I guess that wasn't enough
Some will win, some will lose, some are born to sing the blues
When you're with me baby the skies will be blue
Just to kiss your sweet, sweet lips and hold you so tight
You know I need relating not solitude
I try to shut my eyes but I can't get her outta my sight
With sweet love and devotion, touching my emotions
I just might turn to smoke but I feel fine
Shake for me girl, I wanna be your back door man.

Name all 21 and win a cookie! Some hints are above. It was pointed out to me after class that the possibility exists that "Whole Lotta Love" is not really about romance in the "Cupid draw back your bow", sense. With appropriate apologies to Sam Cooke,

the point is conceded.

Have a great day.

No comments: