Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Wish Tree


Multi-Tasking keeps you from critical focus where and when most necessary. This overt fact was revealed to me once again over the weekend as I tried to juggle several pins at once. It is the building season and I need to build. Get stuff done round here so I don't have to spend another winter moving buckets and splitting green wood. The creative pins are of many colors and shapes. There needs to be a priority, a sequence, some order from chaos. In biz parlance this is known as work flow. The training pin goes up but won't come down where I expect it to. I am reconciling this with several shorter sessions per day. The finance pin is up there somewhere, I think. And then there are the emotional, soul and spiritual. Those pins, which at times glow, sparkle and sing, seems to be heavy and dull, timid even.

And I think it is because of this juggling act. Too many things at once. All the pins are whirling like a tornado around my head. Some are moving fast and others sputtering. To escape this comical cosmic vortex I usually run. As in run, not run-away. That way I am doing one thing. It has never surprised me that my best conceits come while putting one foot in front of the other in as rapid succession as possible. One thing.

Not several.

I also think that this is one of the reasons why our super high intensity maximum SHIMPB) power bursts in spin class are so effective. When getting to-and keeping it for the 12 seconds, you don't have time or energy to do much else. You can focus on the 12. Go as hard as you can for 12 seconds at ANYTHING and see for yourself.

No time for math, finance, drama, neurosis, anxiety, or where you got to be at noon.

Multi tasking. BLAH. Ya don't spin when you swim, you don't run when you ride and you can't do all three at once, so whatever you are doing right now do it the best you can with as much awareness as you can muster,

Oh, yeah, and be happy in your work.

On another altogether tangental note, on my ritual after dinner ride around the duck pond tonight, a spectacular summer evening in the PNW, I spotted this: A wish tree. I had noticed some commotion near it the last few days, but chose to allow space, until tonight. There are a hundred "wish tags" on the wish tree. Some of them made me wince, others cry. I wish that all the wishes come to pass for the wishers of the wish tree. Further along my ride I went to investigate the swatch of dirt neighboring the water. Hadn't been down there for a while and was instantly reminded of why waterfront property remains a premium. Wow. The sun was shimmering gold across the Sound, foreground to the stately evergreens across and the majestic Olympics behind. A trawler sliced the water leaving equal parts of wake to port and starboard. An osprey charted a horizontal course at eye level, legs dragging like landing gears in position. Jeeze, more magic. All I have to do is watch.

I live in my tumbledown shack, fifteen pedal rotations from Paradise.

Just Wow.

The RCVman water-less solar-powered self-composting toilet tower taking shape. Across the street from the Wish Tree.

No comments: