Sunday, July 25, 2010

Done





Couple of new entries to the RCVman record book today.

1) Longest time spent with one continual run, and two,
2) Additional proof that specificity is crucial in training and racing.

As you may know from yesterdays post, I wanted to run the 26 miles along Highway 305 from the ferry terminal on Bainbridge island to Poulsbo and back. All this because the road sign has a 13 on it and that seemed both ominous and beckoning to me. 13 being one to the numbers in 70.3. You may ask me why, but I'll be up front with you (as I always am) and say I haven't a clue other than the half Ironman connection. It just is, and it's just there. So am I.

So this morning at 0600 I parked the Exploder and headed out. Things were peaceful for about 45 minutes and then it started to get annoying. Even on a summer Sunday morning there was enough vehicular traffic for me to get annoyed. My tolerance may be a bit low in this area. By the time I got to close to Poulsbo I changed the route to get off the highway and run past Liberty Bay. So I added to the already dangerous distance. Took the same route home and hit the wall at 23 miles and 3:45. At my makeshift aid station I packed it in and opted to run home and get a ride to the truck. Knees were filled with fluid and I perhaps severely aggravated a nagging hernia. Time to call it a day. Under the heat and competition of a race I would have surely slugged it out, but today, a distance seven times what I have been doing, it was enough.

4:49 from the start I was in the shower.

Then I had some pie.

Balloons on 305 at mile 4. The Northbound sidewalk at the Agate Pass Bridge. Sluys Bakery detour. THAT sign, and my turn time, slow and didactic.

3 comments:

ej said...

I can almost be in MN at Sluys.

KML5 said...

Viking doughnuts are bigger than Stillwater!

ej said...

yeah, if you know the names of their various pastries you can get waited on faster.