Saturday, July 17, 2010

Just WOW

Was thinking about what separates the magic from the mundane early this morning as I circled the park for the first of two 5Ks. This, as a result of a series of rather trying days where nothing seemed quite in its proper place. That feeling when you are about two steps into lost and don't know it yet. Imbalance. Longitude is here but the Lat is MIA. Making matters worse was the return of my old nemesis, lower left side disk pain. Nagging, constant, annoying. One would think that after thirty years of doing this I would be used to it, but every time it flares, I run the gamut of analysis and blame. Should stretch more, get up and do Yoga, use the foam roller, get a new bike, swim more, get a massage. Go back to school and get a MBA. Stop whining and accept what Cassidy told you several years ago (that if you are going to do long course triathlon-accept the fact that you WILL have back pain). Cultivate the Zen. And on it goes.

But the magic thing. Why so seldom? Cause we are distracted most of the time and numb the rest? The reason I write, race and create video is to get closer, more often, to the magic. If it happens once every twenty four hours, I wanna be there. I wanna bask in that light and absorb that energy. I want those good vibrations. So I stay with it, keep at it, endure. Much like a miners head lamp looking for something that glows or sparkles. A lot of the time it IS the mundane. But that moment. WOW (Just WOW). Keep seeking the gold grasshopper. Keep running. The pain will subside. Keep racing, there are victories on the horizon if you show up, none if you don't, and hold dear the creative imperative, don't let go. You will never please all the people. That is not your job. Keep the fire burning. Change. Grow. Learn.

Between runs, I went over to RG's to help trim and hang his screen door, and on the way back got blindsided by a Garage Sale sign. Gold. Head lamp scanning Oriental art and Ming Vase. China Doll in lacquered case. Bob Dylan poster, cool hand made jewelry. I am $100 poorer but found some magic. Believe, flow, relax.

Hoped in the Exploder to get back to work holding one of the vases in my lap for safety and spotted a gal thumbing by the side of the road. Don't see THAT much anymore. Doctor My Eyes was on KJR. I stopped and she gave me a good look before climbing in. I guess wackos don't cruise carrying Oriental vases. She had a red guitar in one hand and a pint box of strawberries in the other, hello dark eyes. We talked. I was a mile from the cabin, but ended up taking her to Indianola. We had a beautiful chat. There was electrical current. I would have driven her to Miami had she asked. She does Reiki. Her card says, "Moving to the YES! of Life" and "Wanting What's True for You". Wants to barter for the ride.

Just WOW.

5 comments:

FW said...

Time to cue the Lovin' Spoonful:

Do you believe in magic in a young girl's heart
How the music can free her, whenever it starts
And it's magic, if the music is groovy
It makes you feel happy like an old-time movie
I'll tell you about the magic, and it'll free your soul
But it's like trying to tell a stranger 'bout rock and roll

ej said...

yeah, wow, feeling a bit disabled to hopeful, all in one day. this is why the more aged are on average more happy than the comparatively young.

FW, good call, and the Turtles too; maybe they will make the top 100. There are some acts bordering on classic, like Pink, Sixpence None the Richer (one good song and not the popular one and that singer...),...or acid rock like The Doors :) and ahh, I forget now. I wonder if these get any recognition.

KML5 said...

John Sebastian played harmonica on Roadhouse Blues. It's all connected gentlemen. Hope springs eternal. Here is what I was thinking tonight while running in the park: Is our level of happiness directly related to our wisdom more than experience, or vice versa, meaning, of course, will my best race be my last? Jeeze, you had to open The Doors, T100? Yeah, but not the one you think, Jose.

FW said...

Happiness is not related to getting what you want. It is wanting what you get.

KML5 said...

Add: I am happy in the knowledge that my happiness is not tied to wanting or having.