Saturday, July 3, 2010

The Fourth: Fit or Fat?








Can't even remember the last time I gnawed a hamburger. I have boycotted McDonalds for almost twenty years now and I once was a Guinea Pig for the DoD testing the thesis that an athlete (soldier/sailor) could get by on a vegetarian diet alone.

I do remember, however, the last time I had a sausage. It was in Vienna, 1992. It was December 23rd. I was Christmas shopping in the town square under the glow of festive lights. It was snowing lightly, and wafting through the crisp evening air was the unmistakable sizzling smell of chestnuts and sausage. As a string quartet plucked pizzicato, children skated and adults toasted life, I followed the smell, hypnotized. The internal debate lasted about 20 seconds, as right next to the sausage vendor was a beer garden. Giant steins of Bavarian beer were being hoisted with gusto.

Before I could say Merry Christmas I had a sausage in one hand and a stein in the other. The meal was simple, brat & beer, but the moment was magical, having more to do with my surroundings than the snack.

And that was the last time.

Admittedly, it is a stretch to jump from Austria in '92 to the 4th of July in Seattle, from a snowy European capitol to my semi-rural backyard in 2010, but the point is this: We create our own experiences. The truly memorable ones come not by accident, but by design. By our choices.

I choose to eat as healthy a diet as I can afford. I choose to put myself into the mix of a lifestyle that I appreciate, enjoy and that motivates me. As a result I am continually honored by being surrounded by incredibly talented and inspiring people. Most of them are athletes, many not.

You know when they say the beauty is in the eye of the beholder? I think there is beauty in the vitality of good health. I don't care if you can do a sub five hour 70.3, an 18 minute 5K, or ride a century in less time that it takes to drive from Vancouver to Portland, if you have good health, you have made some good choices. A beautiful thing.

Congratulations. I know it is tough. It takes discipline. It takes desire. And it takes dedication. We have talked about all this many, many times in class. You have to pay the price.

So tomorrow, as you stare at the beef burning on the barbie, try to balance yourself. Make this 4th of July a memorable one. ENJOY THAT BURGER. Taste the craftsmanship that went into the making of that micro brew. Toast to our freedoms and praise Lord for giving us the power of self awareness. Hug the kids and pet the dawgs.

Then get to work. You have a choice. Fit or fat. Simple as that.

Here are some interesting articles for your consideration:

The Vegetarian Diet.

About fish.

Veggie athletes.

In & Out.

Fuel for athletes.

How cheeseburgers cause cancer.

3 comments:

ej said...

I'm having a micro now watching overpaid soccer players. Was in Port Townsend working for two weeks had had a lot of McD's fish sandwiches for lunch! But, what a beautiful town that is...especially on a nice day. I like your stories about sausage and Germany. Hemingway was famous for creating atmosphere and the moment like that...guy could appreciate good eating and drink. One has to be able to remember indulging even if it doesn't happen that often anymore. Fortunately, I have a lot of memories. You create a great BLOG, thanks. Keep up the good work!

ej said...

I meant Austria.

KML5 said...

WOW, me and Papa in the same paragraph! Thank you for your kind comments ej. You are a true VBAer. Have a great 4th.