Friday, October 2, 2009

The bottom line...





As the G5 renders the final compressor pass of the Kona Expo Video, I have begun the packing process. Three items of special concern have been resolved, with a minimum of time, effort and money. Those items that now have a check in front of the todo list:

1) Needed to figure a way to get some swim video. In the past I have hired divers with underwater HD cams, but I will not have the time for that this year, nor the budget. So, taking a cue from all the guys who have been raving about the sports cameras they "discovered" at Interbike, I ordered one of these puppies from GoPro cameras. Looks like it will do the job - and at a nice price. You will get a full-on, water-soaked, in-the-blue report upon my return.

2) Needed to figure a way to capture better audio at the Expo. If you have been to Kona for Ironman, you know that there are an equal number of marketeers all looking for ways to capture your attention as there are athletes trying to avoid them. This is our challenge. (And I mean that as both a marketeer and an athlete). It has long been expo conventional wisdom that LOUDER is better. If you can't catch their eyes, shoot for the ears. The olfactory is somewhat underused, unless you are at a "Taste of" show. Knowing all this and how I have agonized in years past, wanting to use a clip of, say Bella Comerford talking about how cool her new CompuTrainer is, and not being able to clean it up to acceptable standards (like being able to actually hear what she is saying), I finally solved this problem by getting my wireless Sampson levallier to work with the Cannon XH-A1. My testing in the RCV lab seems to indicate that this will help A TON. I would also like to build some type of a sound baffle at the Expo to help even more, but that will be an on-site addition that we will deal with Wednesday.

3) The 'Heads-on-a-Stick' came out nice. I still need to cut the foam backed 8x10s and attach to springs, but they should be cool and attract some attention (maybe I should soak them in jitterbug perfume for a couple of days, too). And lastly the second batch of headbands showed up yesterday so now all I need to do is cram them into my two cases (this to avoid a third bag fee) and get to Sea-Tac Tuesday morning by 0700.

Here are a few more GREAT (training & racing related) blogs.
http://elizabethfedofsky.blogspot.com/
http://dcrainmaker.blogspot.com/2008/03/review-of-new-computrainer-interactive.html
http://www.angelanaeth.blogspot.com/

I have had the honor of watching some inspiring performances by talented athletes over the years, with one of my fondest memories, captured on Hi8 no less, being Chuckie V winning Ironman Canada in 1999 just seconds ahead of Shingo Tani. Chuckie V's blog contains so many gems, great photos and insights that I kinda lost track of time while surfing. Before I knew it, the smell of my burning soup came calling.

LOUD and clear.

The bottom line is the finish line.

Angela hammering on the CT (at Chuckie V's), and a shot from the Surf Hero GoPro camera.

2 comments:

ej said...

I think Angela should ride inside too (at least if it was up to me).

KML5 said...

From the photo it appears as if she has taken your advice (if porches count!) But, I wonder, if ONE athlete takes ONE road to success and another takes another to similar success, which was the RIGHT road?