Thursday, October 29, 2009

42





I remembered when I was 42.

Thinking about the road today.

What a long strange trip it truly has been.

The choices I made to get here.

The sacrifices, the victories, the laughter, the tears.

And what it all means.

As a result of all this inexpensive introspective analysis, I have come to see that a few elements of this experiment have greater weight than others. Such as:

An ounce or pure honesty is worth ten pounds of brilliant spin.

A hard-effort loss trumps an easy, lopsided win.

I'd rather be good than lucky.

A frown on a perfect shape is no match for a dazzling smile on an "imperfect" one.

Volume is great for Rock 'n Roll, devastating for debate.

I like my truck, but LOVE my bike.

Work is important, play imperative and love impermanent.

I have to accept this, or drink myself crazy.

Technology amazes me constantly, as does our tribes propensity to abuse it.

I told my class Tuesday that sometimes I say to myself "I FEEL GOOD", 40 times a day. Yesterday, I set a PR, hitting 41 as I ran in the park at sunset.

I love my work.

I am a lucky guy.

Sometimes I wish I was smarter. But then I think that feeling good is better than being smarter.

42.

Speaking of IM St. George....The swim venue at Sandy Hallow and Tanya at Tri-Hive magazine showing off her choice of race day fuel from First Endurance on the day of the RCV shoot way back in May (I might have been younger then).

5 comments:

ej said...

I feel good.

ej said...

Actually, for the moment at least, I feel tired.

KML5 said...

That's a good tired. Its opposite would be sick and tired.

FW said...

It has been 13 years since I was 42. My son was six, my daughter, four. Much has happened since then, but I, too, feel like a lucky guy. When you have your health, that's smart. Gotta feel good about that.

KML5 said...

Yesssss, the feel good thread! You are a lucky guy. We recognize the value of working towards health and fitness. How on earth could one "give their best" and feel anything other than satisfaction? That's what Max told me last night anyway.

He will still be watching.