Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Love, Pain and Dreams

This was the piece I cut after Andy Potts won his first 70.3 Championship in Clearwater, FL in 2007. He says some very nice (very nice) things about CompuTrainer. He says some ever nicer (is that is possible) things in this article from the eXaminer.com as sent over by UK Special Agent Ward in Leeds.

"I train on a CompuTrainer six days a week. It's a very controlled environment and you can document your progress very methodically. It could be that I gravitate towards that because of my background in swimming where it's a very controlled environment. I don't do the computer with it. I just ride ergometer mode and train towards watts and power. I probably ride outdoors maybe thirty times a year. I don't ride very long. The longest CompuTrainer workout would be 2 hours 20 minutes.

The strength training I get is derived mostly from the consistency and the repeatability of the workouts that I do. And the same on the run. My college coach used to say that the only way to swim fast is to swim fast and feeling good only counts in lovemaking. There's a reason why some people can race consistently and always get a good performance out of themselves. Some days a good performance just means you have to deal with a little bit more discomfort."

http://www.examiner.com/x-7447-SF-Extreme-Training-Examiner~y2009m6d9-Andy-Potts-prepares-to-threepeat-the-Escape-From-Alcatraz

3 comments:

ej said...

Didn't Matt Reed or Hunter Kemper beat out Potts in a final race to eliminate him for the 2008 Olympics? Doesn't training by wattage and predominately indoor means take some of the creativity out of how or strategy of competing on natural terrain? Is this why he lost, to Reed I think, in the big last chance race for China 2008? Sounds like torture to me.

ej said...

PS - I was thinking Michael Phelps ought to try Triathlon comp when you were saying Potts was a former swimmer this morning.

KML5 said...

We're talking about the motor here, not the suspension, GPS or 4-wheel drive. What sounds like torture? Sounds sweet to me (getting results). Don't think Phelps can run, he probably can bike a little though.

Nobody likes my fireworks in slow motion??????????