Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Patent Pending

There is plenty of debate. A Rule of Thumb exists. You can find enough charts and graphs to fill a library. There is the status-quo and even conventional wisdom. Here is what I say to all of that:


HOGWASH.


Go ahead and do the safe and conventional, the tried and true, the expected.


AND THAT IS WHAT YOU WILL MOST LIKELY GET.


And exactly what I don't want. I want better. I want more. I want exceptional. I want faster. I want a personal best, a record, all I can be and then some. I am greedy in this regard as my approach is not to simply finish, but to challenge, test and visit a place not many will go, a place where lungs scream and heart pounds, where spirit is tested and output maximized. That place pain calls home. That place light years away from the comfort zone. That place where every foot strike feels like it may be your last.


This for a measly 13.1 miles. It ain't a full monty. We have done the distance many times, we know what it takes to go easy, go with intervals, add some hills, gut it out. What we don't know is what might happen if we try something radically different.


Like a high intensity taper. Prepping the muscles, the cells, mitochondria, telomearse, and the usual cast of supporting characters for a high output hour and forty minutes. Instead of laying around worrying about the quality (or quantity) of our training to date. We are not pros. This is not an Olympic Trial. There will be no purse. We do this for fun and for something else…..


….to see who we have become. And I am willing to test a new protocol to see if I can push this old jalopy up another hill a little faster that I pushed it a year ago. To me that is everything. Another candle on my birthday cake, another minute off my half-monty time.


Here are four op-eds on the 'art of the taper' and more:


Runners World

Running Times

Runners World II

Runners Resource


One more strategy note. I hope it rains cats, dogs and elephants Sunday. I hope the wind blows at gale force. We are all out there on the same course under the same conditions. How I deal with the circumstance creates another opportunity. Some will crumble. Some will quit. Some will slow. Some won't show up at all. Two other crucial items: Breathing and fuel. Control the former and ensure the latter.


For some, this is everything. For some there is no debate. Anything but best is not an option. Yes, there is risk going there, but far riskier not to try at all.


This is not for everyone. It is not for beginners or the faint of heart. A miraculous set of circumstance has brought me to this door. I have trained with diligence. This morning after class, my fourth in 24 hours, racing weight was at target. The knee is OK. I feel great. There should be no problem getting enough carbs and protein tomorrow. The biggest challenge will be keeping out of Fado after the Huskies Apple Cup romp. Here is the (patent pending) RCVman Seattle Half HIT taper:


Today: 0530 Spin, 1830 Spin

Thanksgiving: 8-0930 Spin, 5K recovery run

Friday: easy 10K

Saturday: 7-8:30 Spin FAST 5K & Apple Cup

Sunday: Race. Target time 1:38. Last years time: 1:41


Pre would go.

4 comments:

ej said...

so the 1830 today is a recovery spin

KML5 said...

Not hardly. As much intensity as I can bring (and share).

Bob P said...

Sounds like you are ready to race! Good luck with Sunday's 1/2. Bummed i missed today's T'day spin session, but we're finally back to BI tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving!

KML5 said...

Congratulations again on a well executed plan. Welcome back.