Friday, November 11, 2011

The Day of One

The important, the light, the fascinating, the comical, the sad and the true. Not often that we get the entire, complex dynamic wrapped around full moons. It feels very appropriate here on The Day of the One.


The important: To all who have served, are serving or will serve, thank you. I do not always agree with our policies and interests, but one thing I do agree is that freedom is worth the price that we must pay to keep it. And to date, here on 11.11.11 we have undeniably set the freedom standard. Let it ring!


The fascinating: I suppose you could say that I am a sucker for inspiration. I find it incredible that there are so many daily examples of beauty, courage, hope, wisdom, love and effort available to us. If we look. I know we sometimes get burdened by the weight of society, overwhelmed by the media and numbed by the negatives, but as I sit here this morning and watch the giant yellow and pea-green maple leaves line the road, I am reminded, awed and inspired by the natural beauty that surrounds. I also find this fascinating: A NY TIMES illustrator ran Sunday's NYC Marathon, covering it with sketches which he then shot with is iPhone cam. As a card-carrying member of the working press I know about shooting events, and find this absolutely phenomenal, brilliant and hysterical. And speaking of art…..


The comical: We were talking the other day about Michelangelo and his capolavoro, David. I will never forget the day I first stood gazing up at the young shepard boy in the Academia in Florence. If you haven't read Irving Stone's Agony and Ecstasy, please do. Terrific story about the sculptor and his work, including the patron Saint of Underdogs.


The sad but true. We, the VBA, go to great lengths to ensure our health and fitness. Yesterday I had a rare opportunity to talk on the subject for FOUR HOURS. By my count that was worth 2,000 calories even without turning the pedals. Meaning that once again I might be preaching to the choir, but it is a chance I fell I need to take, as maybe one person in those four hours might connect the dots, get the big picture and pass the word along, play it forward. Look at these sad but true numbers and you'll see why I sing.


Thanks Veterans for your courage and service, thank your Lord for our Garden of Eden. Thanks to all artists, musicians, teachers, authors and underdogs out there, please don't give up. Thanks to the fine folks who keep coming back to my classes knowing full well that the story, as the song, will most likely stay the same.


As I find it important, fascinating, comical and inspirational. Sad but true.


11.11.11 Pix: David (Known now as Big D) after a two year gig in the USofA. The oasis of a mile 22 aid station, you can almost taste it.



1 comment:

KML5 said...

I had lot's to work with. Good luck tonight at the auction. Thanks.