Thursday, November 3, 2011

Number 90

There's Almost Nothing You Can't Get Better At

“Unfortunately, the clock is ticking, the hours are going by. The past increases, the future recedes. Possibilities decreasing, regrets mounting.”

Haruki Murakami


Maybe you've heard the story, maybe not. I'll tell it one more time for the record. In 1989 I was deeply in love with a beautiful, intelligent, talented and charismatic young girl with hair the color of madrona fire. She was a pianist, ballerina, fluent in French and smart as a whip. What she saw in me remains one of the great mysteries in my life to date. But we got on well. I was fascinated by her talents and she was attracted to my energy, attitude and work ethic. We liked to do new things together that neither had done as individuals. It was an exciting time. One day she said to me, "You are a bit myopic, you know. All this sports stuff, it takes up a huge percentage of your time."


I tried to argue, my main point being that I was in the publishing industry and we produced sports magazines, so it seemed appropriate that I stay current and competent.


"You can be more than that. All that is easy for you. Culture, travel, experience, art, music, literature, there's a lot out there to discover."


I was had. Debating further would be arguing for my limitations. She was, again, correct.


Playing the Popeye card, I pleaded that I was what I was. She said yes, that's true but growth and experience come from initiative, and that could start today.


She went as far as to suggest some courses of action and bought me a semester at the UW night school, learning Italian as a birthday present. Additionally, she suggested that I pick one of the sports I was most interest in, keep that ONE and lose the rest. That way, she demurely noted, we will have more time to explore this big beautiful blue orb together. It was an easy decision.


Good bye Mariners, good-bye Sonics, good-bye Seahawks, good-bye softball, good-bye golf.


And hello Huskies!


I kept the Dawgs. That was a long time ago, several Rose Bowl wins, a National Championship and lot's of great memories paired with the many lessons culled from defeat.


I was reminded of that wonderfully innocent time when reading the Steve Emtman live chat yesterday in the Seattle Times. He was a sophmore that year. Asked about his most valuable traits he replied instantly: attitude and work ethic.


The flashback hit me like a number 90 sack.


1990 at Husky Stadium in the rain, (l2r) Carlo, me, Julie, Boo and Mom. Dawgs let one get away that day against UCLA.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh, I was there too!!! I took that pic, find the one with me in it too!!!
your "childish sister",
Pink

KML5 said...

Childish? No comprende. Thanks for a great time and cool picture.