Saturday, May 7, 2011

Proof in the Pedals

Twasn't easy, but it WAS fun. After five months of training and testing, we have reached the target delta.

This morning after our rocking 90 HIT session the scale read: 155. Gentlemen, we are at racing weight. Moreover, we did not sacrifice muscle to get there. How do I know this?

We just rode 365 miles in five days. I rode four of them fixed, meaning I had the choice of riding, climbing, descending or stopping, using (or not) the single direct-drive gear I had at my disposal, in this case Trixie's 48/18. I also had a sub-plan throughout the week; to go hard whenever possible to assess the all new and (hopefully) improved RCVman power to weight ratio, and, witness thereby the results of the latest round of testing.

You will (please) remember that April was low glycemic carbohydrate month. THAT seems to be key, providing the final push to get to the weight target. The adjacent concern; race, event or endurance fueling, now appears to require (or prefer) HIGH glycemic carbs; pancakes, potatoes, rice, chocolate, bananas, peanut butter, you know, FUN FOODS.

Train low-Race high.

I wish there was a race tomorrow. I will have to be patient. This is interesting at 155. Last time I was here was as a sophomore high school shortstop in 1968. That is fifteen pounds lost in about 18 months. I am VERY pleased. I will also have to say that our testing protocols have been solid, providing excellent results. The mirth moves with magnificent mayhem.

I am also very grateful that we get to do stuff like this. Take five days and ride around one of the most spectacular sites on the map. Then spin indoors to keep the progress trending in the right direction. Then go race with our pals. High octane WOW. And (again, please) let us not forget the power of the happy run. It's all so beautiful.

Maybe it WAS easy. The line blurs between the two. Dunno, easy or hard? Is the only difference simply in attitude?

A few parting shots from the final day of Fun 101 aka Bernie's Big Adventure I. Was so much fun that we'll do it again in September. Attitude turns hard to easy and pain to mirth.

The proof is on the pedals.

4 comments:

ej said...

Thanks for publishing. I think my diet low gycemyic or whatever better start tomorrow. I think I may have lost a quarter pound on the trip due to all the good stuff there was to eat.

ej said...

PS - here is the matching song for your 'its all so beautiful' comment; had to check as it was an instant reminder: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMLlXL6QZ3g

KML5 said...

Flashed on Itchycoo Park the moment I wrote the word. It somehow seemed appropriate. Looking at the video I stand validated by Rock & Roll (yet again) It's all too beautiful. Nice work.

ej said...

PS - I love that photo on the left there. I look like your Dad's college roommate at a little reunion we had going on! In general, Bernie and I look a little stressed in some of these, especially me! I remember why!