Friday, May 13, 2011

Decisions

Decisions Shape (our) Destiny.


So says Tony Robbins in this powerful video segment from TED. His six 'needs' are also eerily applicable to our training and racing.


Consider:


Certainty: Not too many things are absolute certainties. Death, taxes, pain and suffering. It's a short list. Maybe I can suggest the relationship between the following three things and our health and happiness: A good diet, consistent exercise and stress management. Do these and there is the certainty of improved fitness.


Variety: Is why God created such beautiful hills. And colors. And music. Sometimes I think my primary directive is to simply mix and match intensities, moods and magic flutes to induce a physical, emotional and spiritual response. We call it spinning, which is like calling water wet. It is so much more than that.


Significance: Meaning. Intensity. Value. Quality. TR uses the example of violence, and it's a good one. We replace the gun with a bike. Go hard or else.


Connection: We all want to belong. Wear team colors. Be a part. After spending ten years working closely with the DoD, I am convinced that the need to 'prove' this understanding is a huge part of the military allure. Marines are fanatical about being Marines. My contribution seems to be to lead others towards optimal fitness, enhanced health and the joy of the journey. From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli and in the House of Mirth.


Growth: Every day in every way. Here is one: Your body does not recognize, nor care, about structured workouts. Your mind, however, needs a OS and wants a structured routine. It is just more convenient that way, so we invent languages to suite. Maybe tomorrow I'll demonstrate this by conducting our 90 minute class by signing in Tagalog.


Contribution: I gave at the office. Yeah, well, give some more. And then some more. Give what ya got and give it often. I don't have a lot on money (by design), but what I do have is time and energy. By sharing my time and experience (limited, but expanding) I create more energy than even Oppenheimer, Tesla and Edison combined could have ever imagined.


Decisions shape our destiny. Make a good choice today. Let's go run and think about some of this stuff.


Photo: In December we decided to cruise to Mexico and ride. I invited Suz (first on left) to ride with me on the upcoming McDonald's UTT shoot. She is the fastest gal I know and perfect for the part. She will certainly kick my butt, however the variety and significance will surely provide a powerful connection ensuring dynamic growth and eventual social contribution. (!)





4 comments:

ej said...

what happened to your 'plank' post?

KML5 said...

Blogger had some glitches yesterday (this first time I can recall) and apparently the post was lost. I will post re-links later today. 20 on/20 off working?

ej said...

today I am tired, but i ran

KML5 said...

We're doing sprints tomorrow at 10 and a three hour LSD in Sequim leaving at 12:30 if ya want some real fun.