Thursday, May 26, 2011

Daily Grind

We are jack hammering away on the new website, meaning our time together today must be brief. Couple quick thoughts, an opinion or two, a subjective spin and then it's back to the grind. Big change hugh?


Lance: If you want to clean up Pro Cycling, establish and then enforce the rules with zero tolerance. LA was not the (alleged) first, nor will he be the last in the attempt to gain a competitive advantage. Since the dawn of time, this has been fact. If you get caught breaking the rules, you (and yours) are done. In war, one shouldn't bring a Swiss Army Knife to a firefight if one expects to emerge victorious. In the TdF (a lesser version of war) LA knew the rules.


Oprah: I can't believe that in twenty-five years I never watched a single show. Did I miss anything important (again)?


On Obama: GOP: STFU.


The economy: Yikes. Yesterday at the local Safeway I pretty much deciced that I need to buy bulk and organic soybeans and open a tofu lab.


My new bike: I found a radical red relic 650 Kestrel KM40 aluminum frame and fork at a great price. As soon as it shows up I will begin the Frankensteinian chore of cannibalizing The Great Panuzi's (My Softride) components and building up the Kestrel. The current inner debate du jour is whether or not to have a real wrench do it, or hack it out myself.


Trixie: In the meantime I have been logging some decent miles on my fixed gear Specialized Langster, Trixie. It has been a blast, and I used a couple of juicy adjectives in describing her ride to Dr. Malik yesterday. YOU try to fit totally focused, in the flow, zen-like and mesmerizing into your next conversation about riding in the rain and see what happens.


Diet: Folks, I am here to tell ya (succinctly) that the low glycemic test has been a (nother) smashing success. I have pretty much leveled off at 155, and judging from the performance last week in Pt. Townsend (almost four minutes off PR) I would say that the weight was fat and not muscle. The 45 miles home on Trixie was at red-line and once I had a bean burrito and a beer, I felt PDG. Pretty dang good.


Recap: To recap, since January, we have shed almost 15 pounds as a result of this combination: Spinning and running high intensity workouts, yoga, massage, low glycemic carbs, adequate H20, and happy running as stress management (or as I like to call it, frustration therapy.)


Consistency: Yes, well that, too. You have to do it often and then allow the proper time for rest and recovery. A little effort and motivation can go a long way, Jose.


John Collins: The Godfather of Ironman said it best, "It is all an experiment of one". Indeedly.


Angela Naeth: On the reason we go hard in training, "I will do today what you won't, so that tomorrow (or race day) I can do what you can't". So cool.


Exciting upcoming events: NODM (June 5), My next fixie ride (tomorrow), 10 mile trail run (tonight), first day of spring with sunshine (tbd).


Back to the daily grind. Pic is of Trixie and my bucket of rain collected yesterday.

3 comments:

ej said...

what does Judy Collins have to do with tri racing!?

KML5 said...

Nothing that I am aware of. Or is this a trick question that has something to do with Steven Stills?

ej said...

actually i think judy was or is married to john collins.