Saturday, November 13, 2010

1+1+1


Saturday night. Actually with the advent of DST, it's really only Saturday afternoon. My biological clock tells me that it is night because it is dark outside, cold in the cabin and I have been up since three. It sure feels like Saturday night. Tell ya that!

We got in a killer 90 minute session this morning. We tried to maintain, sustain and push right up to the dramatic conclusion (Locomotive Breath). I was cooked, and pleased with the effort. Judging from the pools of coolant on the HoM floor I would have to guesstimate that everybody else was too. Bravo Zulu comrades.

And, as is becoming the norm, for the third day in a row, I was inspired by something that was said. Off the cuff, and completely off topic. The last three where everything seems to fit. Square pegs, round holes.

The question was a simple one, Do you read a lot?

I do.

Not enough, or more correctly, probably not enough of the right stuff, but yes, I read every day. I have my weaknesses. I like Tom Robbins. I like Elmore Leonard. I like Bukowski and I adore Kerouac. I like Barbara Kingsolver and I am currently on a Cormac McCarthy kick. Like my old buddy Snorkel Bob (himself a fine author) used to say, he can turn a phrase.

All this led me to thinking about something I used to do for my dear brothers and wonderful sisters on their birthdays. I would (all too easily) go to Amazon.com and order up for them:

1 Book,
1 CD and
1 DVD.

A book, a musical compilation and a movie. One-step culture and my obligation done. Sound easy? Except for the fact that I (natch) had to agonizingly fit the novel, tunes and flick to the individual. Then it got interesting.

Try it. See for yourself.

So tonight, as legs recover and we prepare for tomorrow's 11 miler with the gal who knows not the meaning of slow, I thought we'd start another list. Kinda like the old RCVman Top 100 Spin Tunes of All-Time. Remember those (good old) days?

I'll kick it off (as the Huskies are off till Thursday night): List the person (living or otherwise) to whom you would give one book, one CD and one movie.

To Jimi Hendrix;

Venus on the Half-Shell, Kilgore Trout
Night on Bald Mountain, Mussorgsky
The Green Mile.

Night all.

No comments: