Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Time and Space


Following on the heels of yesterday's musical theme, and of course you realize that we could do this for (almost) eternity, I was amused by a thread in one if my favorite "all things triathlon" forums, slowtwitch.com. An obviously obsessed heavy metal fan had asked a rather interesting question of the slowtwitch peanut gallery. The question, innocently enough, was 'name your first vinyl purchase'. As the comments and memories piled up they were quickly augmented by .45s, cassettes, eight tracks and finally downloads. 

I assembled my list and now share it with you along with one line of commentary, adding the time, place and space. You may add yours if a moment of eternity allows. Thanks. 

45: Mack the Knife. Bobby Darin. 1960 in my room in LA. 
LP: HELP. The Beatles. Same room, same house, much different vibe, 1964
EIght Track: Steppenwolf the Second. In my '65 Mustang at full volume.
Cassette:  Wake of the Flood, Grateful Dead  California to Washington, 1973. Eyes of the World. 
CD: Aja. Steely Dan The Methow Valley in Winter of 1977. 
iTune: Mysterious Ways. U2. My cabin, an island in the Y2K sun. 

No comments: