Friday, January 4, 2013

A True Professional


After successfully navigating through the automated entry maze of AT&T on-line support, I was greeted by Steven. He asked the same information again while my pledge to remain civil was tested anew. This all starts a month ago in Barcelona when I received a twenty cent text announcing that my $240 bill had been successfully transferred and I was now AT&T debt free. 

$240?

I was on the phone to them faster than the Spanish barrista could pull me a double espresso. To their credit they have instigated a program of hiring  American Veterans and I spoke with a former Marine who was very helpful in getting me the right plan for my trip. I paid the $220 bill when I returned promising, once again, when I travel to change my wireless plan. 

So why did I get another HUGE phone bill, I asked Steven, semi-politely. 

He started to investigate while I tried to game their bundle usage plan system on-line. What a nightmare. Scam is a better word. A Ponzi pyramid pricing stricture that the Mafia would kill to manage. 

Steven came back on the line and began the story. There is a reason they are now known as Customer Service Professionals, and I was witnessing the upgrade. He told me that I was in Spain on the 10th, but my billing cycle starts on the 11th and that my International roaming minutes were not used at wholesale, so he was going to see what he could do to lower my current bill.

Thanks.

Back to their website, vowing to go back to a vanilla pay as you go service should Steven fall short in his professionalism. 

OK, we're making some progress here, you have 5,000 roll-over minutes but texting is at .20 per message, all OK, but your data usage is where the issue is. 

Always, I agree. 

Let me put you on hold and do some calcs. Don't go away.

Sure, I replied, glancing at the cobwebbed ceiling corner. 

To be fair about it, I love my IPhone. I am of the media, I provide content, I manage events while traveling, I need communication. I also find it comforting while on the road to get an e-mail from a friend. There is a weird satisfaction in telling some-one I can't make the run at six because I am in London for the day. And while I have added twenty dollars or so to expense reports I simply cannot justify $240. 

Sir?

Steven.

I found some ways to reduce your bill.

Excellent. I am still on-line and see a big green $125.02 CR appear on my statement.

DUDE, nice!!!

Steven chuckles slyly, announcing that he's not done yet. 

Finish strong buddy, roll up your sleeves and dig deep my friend. 

Yes, here is another, we'll retro activate your data and (I hear him punch the enter key and wait for the algorithm to sum),

You owe…..

Yes?

Nothing.

Nothing?

Actually, and I am checking this because i have never seen this before, yes. WE OWE YOU!

You owe me?

$1.98.

You owe me a buck ninety-eight?

That is correct sir. It wasn't easy and please be sure to change your plan the next time you travel internationally so we don't have to do this again. 

Yes, sir. Thank you. And Steven?

Sir?

You are a true professional. 

Have a nice day and thank you for using AT&T.

4 comments:

FW said...

Nice. You were lucky to connect with him.

Anonymous said...

And Happy New Year to you!

KML5 said...

Steven? Nice follow up. HNY to you too.

ej said...

I like Bank of America even better.