Wednesday, January 2, 2013

More less

We talked about it this morning. You had a chance to digest. Now it the time to put it into effect. Try it on for size. It is 2013. I don't know about you but I sense an urgency. As in now. There is something that I can be doing THIS VERY INSTANT to push me closer to my goal. 

I need to make that positive a habit. I must create the story and retell it every day to impact my actions. It has to motivate me, inspire me, thrill me, excite my every atom and cell towards ceaseless activity in the pursuit of my goal.

Nothing more, nothing less. The story I tell to myself has to be sacred. It has to be the most passionate image of pure love I can concoct. The highest, the best, the finest. If I can glimpse that for an instant, experience it for one second, combine my body and mind in the soulful art of this nonjudgmental quest, I may then continue along its relentless path of challenge and growth. 

So more is more. Unless more is less.
Then less is more.
Until more is more. 

See?

A couple of articles found their way to my awareness in-box this morning. One I really like and one I really dislike. 

The one I like is on habits. How we create good ones. And although I would tweak Joe's routine a touch, he makes some excellent points and graphs a terrific way to accomplish your objectives. Check it out here.

The second is another misguided attempt to spin data. Question: If I told you that it is better for longevity to be ten pounds overweight, what is the first though you would have? Right. Quit working so hard to try to lose it. Accept the data as an opportunity to back-off, ease-up and get-down. No need to rise at 0430 to work out, so ram another bag of Doritos, put your swollen feet up, twist a cap and watch a bowl game, why not? Plus ten is now good for you. 

So you wake up a year later twenty up and re-join the club on New Years Day vowing to lose the weight the CDC said was OK. This is America folks that is how we roll. The easy way. 

More good habits
Less ten pounds
Then less is more
And more is more
More less.

Happy New Year. 

Pic: I guarantee that these six guys racing the Sea Otter Classic in 2010 have good habits. And would like nothing more than to increase their power to weight ratio by dropping ANOTHER ten pounds. Less is more. 

2 comments:

FW said...

Recheck the link for Joe's piece please. Not working when I checked.

Re the body fat story, here is an example of a complicated situation being further muddied with a simplified tool (BMI) which fails to take into adequate consideration the impact of body fat percentage.

If a person has a low body fat percentage it's possible to be in the overweight category on the BMI scale.

KML5 said...

Fixed the link, thanks for pointing it out. Agree on your BMI take. The CDC needs a PR buffer.