Monday, October 22, 2012

Inside is what counts

OK, this happens a lot. I see it all the time, way too much. I need to intervene. Again, as I have said many times as preface, the following is my spin only and does not necessarily represent the views, beliefs or mission statements of anyone else. That includes management, sponsors and shareholders.

One: This is a difficult one because I actually make my living filling the gap created by this void. The void being that nebulous missing link of visual stimulus while training indoors on a stationary bicycle. Mot of us have two good eyes and we have been conditioned to use them - all the time. Pavlovianly, we seek and respond to the things moving around us as we peddle. A very good habit when riding out of doors. The void is inside. I don't blame you one bit for keeping your head down and avoiding eye contact during spin sessions, I do the same. Unless I plan on going to school on you. If you are faster, smoother, more powerful, capable of enduring focus and with the ability to inspire, I will watch your every move. If your grace and awareness is capable of motivating me for one additional nanosecond, you will be ogled. What gets my goat is when people look for distraction, seeking avoidance of the internal focus by external stimulus. A diversion of intensity, transfer of pain, somewhere to send untrained energy. And the opportunity is lost. So when I see user groups asking for suggestion for movies to watch while training indoors, I wanna shout: YOU DON'T NEED NO STINKING MOVIES, FOCUS ON YOUR RESPONSE TO THE EFFORT, STAY PRESENT, DON'T LOOK FOR A PLACE TO HIDE. BE HERE, USE THIS TIME TO GROW, THIS ISN'T A CINEPLEX.

Two: This one is maybe even worse. It is like listening to bar chat when you're stone sober. People say that they don't train indoors because it isn't like riding outdoors. You like to ride in the rain? REALLY? You will train in the snow at oh-dark-thirty? Your allegiance to the old school is so strong that you will risk life and limb, darting between vehicles that outweigh you by two tons, radio controlled by med guzzling and impaired seniors, stressed out middle managers and jacked up teens? REALLY? It isn't like riding outside because it is not supposed to be. We make no pretension. IT IS INDOOR TRAINING.

Three: It is boring. It is boring because you are. Sorry. If you are easily bored it is because you are undisciplined. You are weak. You need constant entertainment. You have become conditioned to noise. It scares you to be alone with yourself. Please allow me to suggest that having the courage to participate in the physical adaption of your continuing improvement is the most fascinating holistic endeavor one can undertake. It is a complete and dynamic enhancement of everything we know about mind, body and spirit. If you cannot find value and self awareness in that combination, the boring should be conducted between your ears.

Four: I don't have the time. We do it a 0530. We offer private sessions from 7am to 10pm. Please do not verbally insult me by suggesting that you cannot fit the most important element of your existence inside of that window of opportunity. If the only hours truly available to you are between 10pm and 7am, we have home units for sale.
Have you an excuse for that one?

OK, let's quickly review:

You are a successful, professional adult. You do not need Dexter reruns in order to orchestrate a successful training session. Please focus on the process. The process of becoming a better you.

Be smart. Be safe. Be fit. Be productive. Stay around for a while. Change and grow.

Please do not fall prey to the gimmickry of gadgets. Your body is the most amazing creation of all time. Use it. Understand it. Improve it.

Ditch the excuses. You have an hour a day. Or you can make one.

As mentioned this morning, I don't take a lot of things seriously, most of the things men consider important I think are silly. I DO take my health, fitness, vitality and energy creation seriously. This is the quality of my life and I control it.

Please control yours.

Pic: The more quality your indoor work entails, the more fun your out-of-door trails. That is a promise.

No comments: