Friday, October 19, 2012

Again and again



This changes everything. Again.

A world champion age-group long-course triathlete has been suspended for a year for taking illegal substances. I have raced against this guy. He is good. He has set age-group records in three categories. He has been doing this for a long time. How long he has been receiving legal prescriptions for testosterone is now the subject of debate. He is 58. At 58 things are supposed to slow down, not speed up. Growth hormones can dramatically effect racing performance, mostly through shrinking the recover time between training sessions. The hormones enhance muscular repair. 

My initial reaction to this news was like listening to a Mitt Romney speech. SNOOZE. Really, who cares and so what. Just go away and take your lies, cheating and deceits with you. I like to compete, and yes I like to win, but the importance to me is in the process, I like the quality of the now. Honesty and integrity are crucial elements for long-term success. I want to look in the mirror and see the face of honest effort and challenge met, rather than the facade of doubt and the dread of being exposed. I can't imagine living with that burden. Can anything be worth that price? That cost? Victory is the only thing? Baloney. 

Training with purpose, respecting the process, embracing the challenge and working to be your best is it. The road is the goal. What happens in competition is secondary. I am in competition with me not with you. That is my race, and it will go on forever. 

Once all this was processed, I chuckled with the irony that I should be flattered. That a 58 year old grown man feels that he has to take drugs to compete with me. 

Other things in flux: We have spun our Lemond Revmasters into the ground. After six years they have passed their utility and are being replaced. Not phased out, but replaced. They have served us well. Thank you for the many, many miles and equal amount of spinning smiles.

The new kids are Keiser M3s, bikes with which I have had the pleasure of riding at Avalara for a year now. They rock. Real wheel, belt drive, and data including power. They are up-town and sexy. The radical difference between RPE and absolute power is like night and day. There is a learning curve but if there is one standard we can apply it is that change is good.

And this changes everything. Again. 

Keisers in action in the Avalara corporate spin room. 


No comments: