Thursday, June 2, 2011

Getaways


There was a time in the not too distant past where getaway days were the norm. I would head out for a race on a Thursday, work Friday, Saturday and Sunday, then fly home Monday. Leaving Tuesday and Wednesday for downloading video, recharging batteries (of all types), catching up with domestic chores, getting in a spin or two and preparing for the next departure. We kept that schedule for four years. I kinda liked the pace. There was little margin for error and the stakes were always high.


Things have changed. The recession has taken its toll. The new software is a year behind schedule and my once hectic shoot schedule is now looked at from the rear view mirror. For the first time in five years, I have time on my hands.


Meaning that a new opportunity is within reach of those hands, all I have to do is figure out a way to make it happen, to make something out of nothing. Add a dollop of organic local honey to the lemonade. Huddle up and draw a play in the sand. We might get punched a few times, we might get kicked square in the balls and take a slap or two upside the head, but surrender, give up, back down, quit:


WE WILL NOT.


So today, actually early tomorrow at 0300, I hop in the tiny Avevo (or similar) rental car from Enterprise and drive the 200 miles down to Hood River, OR, to shoot the Mt. Hood Cycling Classic. As I intoned yesterday in a pitch to investors, if I can't shoot it, We can't sell it. With, dramatically, all travel related expenses, site development and application design costs coming directly from the right front pocket of my Levis, the belt of which is tightly synched.


Tomorrows stage is an 84 mile road race. Saturday is the TT and Crit and Sunday is the final road stage of 72 miles. Weather appears to be accommodating, or cooperating, however you want to optimistically spin it. I hope to mount a couple of GoPros on peloton bikes as well as shooting from a moto and a support vehicle. If I come away with four complete races, I will be a happy (tired and hungry) guy.


Meanwhile, Tom at BI Cycle, has all the bones. We are building up the Kestrel with parts from the old Softride. A Phoenix awaits. Firebird Red. Gabe, Tom and I went over the challenge and all agreed that it looks feasible. So far, so good. New racing wheels for $500 is about my current speed.


One of the nice things about not living in airports is that you have time for some outdoor miles. I am seriously looking foreword to doing just that as soon as Tom gives me the keys.


THAT will be a getaway day.


Pix: Tom at BI Cycle doing initial feasibility inspection of the donor (Softride) and recipient (Kestrel). The fabulous logo for the 2011 Mt. Hood Cycling Classic. VeloSF facility. Lotsa CompuTrainers in there! Also, please note that 2010 Ironman Canada Champion Meredith Kessler will be conducting a 2-hr CT class as a fundraiser on June 18. Here are more details. Gotta get, ciao.

No comments: