Saturday, June 4, 2011

Flat cakes

The sun was on its way as I sped Eastward on I-84, a well-traveled route. Past Multinomah, Bridal Veil, Rooster Rock, Mosier. I had just paid the .75 cent bribe to cross the Columbia at Hood River (since 1924 I was told by the bribe collector-you mean in all those years it hasn't been paid for yet?), when a light came on the dash accompanied by, at 0545, what sounded like a 'take cover' siren. The icon on the dash eerily looked like a flat tire. I am mid span. There are no shoulders. One way Mr. Snake. The rear end is rapidly getting squirrely. You know what I was thinking.

Being the son of a tire man, I know how to fix a flat. The Mazda isn't that heavy. The tiny, toy spare was on in less than the time it takes to cook pancakes. And I was off and heading up the beautiful Hwy 141 in Klickitat County towards Trout River and the mornings Time Trial. Fabulous country nestled between Mts Hood and Adams along the White Salmon River. Lucky for me I was early.

I pull into The Trout Lake Cafe and was welcomed by that million dollar smell of fresh coffee and
cakes on the griddle.

"Coffee, Hun?"
"You bet"
"You're up early"
"Already been a long day"
"Oh?"
"Flat tire down on 84"
"Bet you're hungry then?"
Looking up I see the purple chalk on the Today's Special sign.
"Tall stack a huckleberry cakes, please"
"Have a seat, and I'll call Andy"
"Andy the cook?"
Unabashedly laughing,
"No, hun, Andy is the mechanic"
"Mechanic?"
"You want yer tire fixed, or (pointing out the window) you aim to drive around all day with that little toy tire on yer car?"
"Is Andy up, I don't want to wake him, I'll be here all day."
"For the race?"
"Yup"
"Let's eat first, then."
OK by me.

To finish today's intro (because I need a nap before the twilight criterium back in Hood River), the cakes were heavenly, Andy was up and had the tire patched in twenty minutes (and twenty bucks), the TT was spectacular and I only got yelled at by one rider in 8-10 mile laps.

All in all, you could start a day much worse.

Pix: The Trout Lake Cafe. YUMMMMMM. The knife blade Andy pulled out of my left rear 9.50x16.5 Michelin steel-belted radial.

No comments: