Sunday, June 26, 2011

Flowers for my Lady

Just back from a nice little 33 miler around the rock. Phoenix Red (The TT rig formerly known as The Great PanuzzI) handled a touch better today as a result of a slight seat height adjustment and aero bar tweak. She is particularly fond of 1-2% rollers, although she did find a cozy climbing zone late in the ride. It is amazing to me the difference between Trixie, a 58 700c fixed Specialized Langster Comp, and PR, a 56 650c time trial rig. The glaringly obvious is that they are designed for totally different purposes, which I (very much) appreciate, but the subtlelties are anything but. I have found a climbing groove with Trix that sometimes makes me feel like Pete Townsend and his Gibson Les Paul. Serious windmills in A. And I get on my knees and pray…..


Phoenix is sleek. Aero like something from Boeing. Compact. The 650 wheels keep you grounded, corner fast. On the rollers, she kinda looks back and wonders why we are at a trot instead full gallop. The motor is easily isolated as weak link. I need to build more confidence in standing attacks as I feel too foreword over the wheels, out of balance, and therefore thinking of stability vice power and cadence. But this will come. The more we ride the better we will get to know each other. I think she has an attitude. I sense she likes to go hard and has a former lifetime familiarity of being the first one back into T2. She is just now getting to know me, and my attitude. The chain tube cracks gave no indication of over-flex or structural fatigue, and I put them to the test, in both hill directions and loads.


I kinda like her. Sassy little 650 redhead. I think we can make some music together.


Also, today is Ironman Coeur d'Alene. I took a quick look at the IM Athlere Tracker and my friend Lisa was first in her AG out of the water (1:05) and already had 35 miles in (1:45) on the bike. Great job, gal, stay strong.


I was surfing the running sites last night and found this clip from the wonderful movie Without LImits, starring Billy Crudup and Donald Sutherland (not to be confused with the wonderful movie Prefontaine starring Jared Leto.) Donald's eulogy, as Bill Bowerman, is amazing from both the acting perspective and the content. If you have ever wondered why we run, please watch this clip.


Pix: It must be love. I am already buying Phoenix Red flowers (or stopping at Manitou Beach to shoot her with Seattle across the Sound as backdrop.)

2 comments:

Willow said...

It was nice seeing you fly by today! Good work I'm icing and stretching (as you advised)! It's feeling better :). Thanks for the input. It's well appreciated!

KML5 said...

Great day for a run AND a ride. Who was that trying to keep pace with you?