Monday, May 24, 2010

Rock Store 2011?





I have great idea. One I will share with you. It comes on the heels of the now completed 2010 Amgen Tour of California. It was my second go-around with this ridiculously big cycling event. And as a result of the two tours of media duty, one overtly VIP fully credentialed and one covertly and stealthily under the radar, I came up with this concept:

Make it a Pro-Am. Invite all comers. Use a pre-qualification process so that the thousands of Cat 4 & 5 folks can see and feel what the pros actually have to endure over the course of seven racing days. It would seriously change the perception of pro cycling, in America, anyway.

It could be the Ironman equivalent of Julie Moss in Kona. It took one ultra-dramatic, finish line moment, a Sports Illustrated article, a Dave Scott and Mark Allen rivalry to turn what was once just a crazy one day suffer-fest into the second most-watched one day sporting event in the world. And suddenly cosi fan tutti. As Wolfy might say.

So we open it up. I know, I know, you are already thinking it would be a logistical nightmare. And I give you this point, BUT, it is already a zoo, so why not charge admission?

The reason I say this, and even suggest that it be given consideration, is that during yesterdays wacko finale, four Rock Store laps, each containing TdF like climbs, screaming, even wackier fans, mountain tifosi, the media circus, white-knuckle suicidal technical descents amid an alternating and relentless barter of sun and wind, the true cycling fans, those that ride, were out doing it before the pros. That was a cross section of every type of rider known to man, young, old, male, female, fast, slow, fit, not-so-fit, happy, hurting, efficient, mashers, mountain bikers, trick bikers, unicyclers, tandems, you name it. If it had wheels, and was human powered, it was there. (And in front of my lens).

I will post-script all this post race hubris by saying that the ToC is as good a race as I have seen. The management, course logistics and preparation, daily operations, media, communications, security and safety, volunteers and overall tour execution are an 11 on the 1-10 scale. It is a pleasure to watch as it all unfolds. These guys know how to do it. And they do, consistently and professionally.

Now let's do it for the masses. Make it a Pro-Am.

We could start with one stage.

Rock Store 2011 anyone?

10 comments:

FW said...

It woudl be so awesome if super wrench BeesKnees were to drive the support car for me and my team.

ej said...

My bike seems slow.

KML5 said...

OK guys, (you knew this was coming). It's not about wrenches or bikes.

IT'S ABOUT THE MOTOR.

FW said...

Is there anything around here that comes close to approximating Rock Store in distance, elevation and grade?

KML5 said...

Hummmmmmmm.
Great question. I will search, compare and report. Gimmme a day or two.

ej said...

I couldn't climb this one hill on the santa fe century w/o fresh legs. like toe jam but 1/4 mi long. what does this mean?

KML5 said...

Maybe the gearing on your bike? leg strength, power to weight ratio, attack attitude (or lack thereof)? Better taper? What I saw at the ToC, especially on this stage, is this:

Climbing is all about cadence.

Get stronger, get lighter, add another cog, spin up faster, rest day prior and enjoy the ride.

That should do it.

ej said...

thanks. i'll try sleeping the night before too.

KML5 said...

That is a good start. Nutrition too, maybe?

ej said...

I've got that covered from Costco.