Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Cinco de Klondike





I have been off-course in races a few times. Done enough Adventure Racing to know the value of GPS. I have worked for he DoD in places known as remote and isolated. The term middle of nowhere has special meaning to me. They are all special as is the Lennon-McCartney lyric, "Oh that magic feeling, nowhere to go."

It is especially ironic then, that today, our third day at sea, we will be heading into Glacier Bay, Alaska, on Cinco de Mayo. I guess that shouldn't be so odd, after all, I was once the only English speaking American in Italy sitting zazen with a French guru. I guess that was multi-cultural enough for a while.

Monday's departure from Seattle was relatively painless, mostly due to the supervision and consulting of Ken Devones from Holland America. Ken expertly guided us through the myriad procedural logistics and pointed me in the short cut and proper directions so that I, in turn could do similar to the rest of the group. Once aboard we went through the "where's me stuff" routine as our baggage was delivered in three stages, along with the bikes and CompuTrainer gear. To say that I was packing heavy is like saying the an elephant is big.

We finally got settled into our stateroom and headed up to the luxurious and swanky La Fountain Restaurant for the CompuTrainer Cruise meet and greet dinner.

After that it got a little rough. As in high seas and the ms Amsterdam getting tossed about in the Pacific like a dinghy in a hot tub. No sleep rock and hang on to your hat roll. All night long. I am not a sailor. I have no sea legs. A land-lubber by both DNA and design. When 0500 dawned with steel-grey showers I was grateful for the opportunity to test my resolve and get moving. Oooops THAT doesn't work I thought bouncing off the narrow walls of the Dolphin Deck corridor en route to the first 20 mile time trial of the day in the fitness center.

It was a long day, but everyone got in their sessions with several dramatic displays of bravery and courage. I trust by now you understand what I mean by that. The added dynamic of a rolling and pitching ship along with a 20 mile very demanding time trial indoors on the CT looking out the bow window into the cold grey Pacific was a unique test of strength and focus. A combination we will long remember and I hope appreciate.

Which is exactly why we came. Here. North to Alaska. On Cinco de Mayo.

Pix:
Katie finds a clever way to get in another spin
Melinda does her initial 20 mile TT on Tuesday
A classic Vivaldi greeting
THE ms Amsterdam in Seattle's Pier 91 Monday

1 comment: