Thursday, May 13, 2010

I Love my Life


I love my life. Really do. Maybe the most important reason as to why this is the truth is that I have always believed the goal is to follow an imperative I heard long ago: Do what you like, love what you do, and the money will follow.

Check, check and, uh, still waiting for the check. (They say it's in the mail).

AND THAT IS OK.

I have everything I need. Some of it in less than perfect condition, some very used, some borderline functional, some woefully outdated and some in need of serious repair. But I have it all. And more important than the material are the spiritual and metaphysical. Which, of course, allows me to see all this junk as meaningless in the big picture. The bigger picture being, the doing of the doing.

It was a glorious return to spin class yesterday morning at 0530, after a week cruising to Alaska doing double sessions on the CompuTrainer and riding outdoors. I already miss our little Alaska group immensely. We fit a year's worth of effort, energy and experience into seven days. Later, the evening class may have been a personal best, as the choreographic and "coaching" seamed to flow perfectly from one song, one climb, one rocker, one sprint in almost sublime harmony. We worked it. When I got home, tired, spent and satisfied, there were five e-mails from folks all adding testimony to the value and rewards of these various efforts.

More, I get to shoot and edit and post video of all this stuff. Next week hooking up with Scott and Kari in Pismo to ride and film and enjoy (again) the absolute glory of the Southern California coastline before hitting LA on Saturday to ride in a team car for the time trial.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Did I crash somewhere at 50mph into a cement truck and wake in Heaven? How good can this get? And they actually PAY me (a little) to do this? Wow, I sometimes think, this is cool.

Could be that I am too easily impressed by these beautiful spring mornings in the Pacific Northwest. It is hard to be angry when the robins sing a-cappella at sunrise with my only responsibility to help others get fit, healthy and race ready.

There are times that I think it might be wise to start to save for a retirement of some type. Maybe invest in a 401, tuck some dough into a savings account or maybe even look into basic health care. The Exploder has 320,000 mile on her. My roof still leaks when it rains hard and I would love to replace my fifteen year old Quintana Roo tri bike with something a little more modern.

But today, as I sit and share all these intimate feelings with you, I am a happy camper. The most important thing in my life is doing what I do.

I love my life. Really do.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have always known this about you, since you are the only person that could truly motivate me at a 5:30 a.m. spin class - but the phrase, "...robins sing a-cappella at sunrise", is truly great poetry.

KML5 said...

You are too kind.